Whatbird Community

Flycatcher ID

40 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Eeek!!!  My long line of Southern grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, etc. would be spinning in their graves if I used store-bought instant pudding or Cool Whip.    Real Southern banana pudding is made with home-made vanilla custard and topped with real meringue (from raw egg whites, not that safe, pasteurized, store-bought egg-whites-in-a-carton stuff) and toasted quickly & lightly. 

You have to under stand, this is for the northers, they are just now hearing of banana pudding, they need a little more time before getting more complicated. 

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Isn't that an insult when a Southern person says that?😄

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

"Your cousin Coy, bless his heart, he tries..."

With the unspoken finish to the sentence being "...but he's dumber than a box of rocks.  He couldn't make 'nanner puddin' if you spotted him the 'Niller wafers."

:classic_rolleyes:😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Gitch'erse'f (Get yourself) a box of Nilla Wafers, three or four bananas, a box of instant vanilla pudding (NOT banana flavor pudding!), and 2 cups whole milk (or Carnation!).  In a long low Tupperware (you do have Tupperware, right?  Sigh.  Okay, use a casserole dish.), arrange a layer of wafers over the bottom and around the sides.  Slice the bananas about 1/4-inch thick (we don't use metric measurements in The South) and put a layer of them over the wafers.   Combine the mix and milk according to package directions, then apply half of it over the cookies and banana slices.  Repeat with another layer of cookies, bananas, and pudding.  Give it a few gentle jostles so the pudding begins to seep between the cookies and bananas.  Toss the container in the ice box (what some of y'all call a 'refrigerator') for several hours or until it's time to drive to the reunion.  Do NOT leave it in the car by accident, or cousins Sam and Ella will drop by.

If Aunt Ruby was feeling fancy, she'd add a layer of Cool Whip (not whipped cream).  We don't discuss adding liquor to the pudding, at least not in front of the young'uns.

Tune in next week, kids, when we'll make every diabetic's favorite, Sweet Potato Casserole (OH MY GAWD).

This sounds good, I must try it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

Eeek!!!  My long line of Southern grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, etc. would be spinning in their graves if I used store-bought instant pudding or Cool Whip.    Real Southern banana pudding is made with home-made vanilla custard and topped with real meringue (from raw egg whites, not that safe, pasteurized, store-bought egg-whites-in-a-carton stuff) and toasted quickly & lightly. 

My wife does make 'nanna pudding with home-made vanilla custard, but she always puts whipped cream on top. I like the meringue idea. That sounds good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, floraphile said:

Y’all live in a better class of trailer park. Double-wides only?

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, floraphile said:

My long line of Southern grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, etc. would be spinning in their graves if I used store-bought instant pudding or Cool Whip.(from raw egg whites, not that safe, pasteurized, store-bought egg-whites-in-a-carton stuff) 

It ain't? Someone should have told you long  line of Southern grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and aunts that. 

13 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Gitch'erse'f

I get that part.

In a long low Tupperware (you do have Tupperware, right?  Sigh.  Okay, use a casserole dish.), arrange a layer of wafers over the bottom and around the sides. 

No, I don't have tupperware. Nor do I have a casserole dish. Nor do I even have much idea what a casserole is.

Slice the bananas about 1/4-inch thick (we don't use metric measurements in The South) and put a layer of them over the wafers. 

My mother isn't exactly exact about measurements either. Now, I may not know much about Southern food, but stop over sometime and have some real German or Asian food.

Just now, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Well, I've heard my father talk about it, but I actually haven't had it.

You should make it sometime! Good fun learning thing.

You've had lasagna though? That's a casserole.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

but stop over sometime and have some real German

Ah! I have got to go to Germany twice, and I loved the food!  Something I don't understand about people is that they get to go to some other country and don't want to eat anything except American food. I just don't get it. 

I did try to eat some American food once in Germany, I think it was the first trip, in 2017, any we had been in Europe two weeks it was late at night, and we were all pretty tired, also were leaving the day after next and were ready to be home. After walking around all day, we were wanting to eat quick and go to bed, so we went to this little place we had eaten at before. Now I think y'all get the idea, we are all tired and ready to be home, so we went in and I wanted to get a hot dog, I had been eating European food for two weeks, when this "hot dog came out it was a plate with about a foot long weaner on it filled with cheese(no bun), two pork chops, and a hamburger patty with cheese on it, and I think souerkraut and onions, we thought they had given use the wrong thing, that was the best meal I had the whole trip! 

• Like 5

Just now, Kevin said:

Ah! I have got to go to Germany twice, and I loved the food!  Something I don't understand about people is that they get to go to some other country and don't want to eat anything except American food. I just don't get it. 

I did try to eat some American food once in Germany, I think it was the first trip, in 2017, any we had been in Europe two weeks it was late at night, and we were all pretty tired, also were leaving the day after next and were ready to be home. After walking around all day, we were wanting to eat quick and go to bed, so we went to this little place we had eaten at before. Now I think y'all get the idea, we are all tired and ready to be home, so we went in and I wanted to get a hot dog, I had been eating European food for two weeks, when this "hot dog came out it was a plate with about a foot long weaner on it filled with cheese(no bun), two pork chops, and a hamburger patty with cheese on it, and I think souerkraut and onions, we thought they had given use the wrong thing, that was the best meal I had the whole trip! 

Where in Germany? The south?

Yeah, sauerkraut is a big part of the German diet. We used to make our own at home in a crockpot, but then it had some issues, so we just pickle it in jars now. My father grew up on a small family farm in the German countryside, and I got to have a taste of his life there when we visited for three months (actually we were stuck there during covid, long story.) Life was good! Picking cherries, strawberries, and various heirloom varieties of fruit and food was good too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

What do y'all eat? 

Well, it depends. Like fried rice, chinese dumplings, noodles, fish balls, sauerkraut, lentil stew, fritata, but usually at almost every meal we eat rice. Rice is definitely a big part of the meal, probably because of my Singaporean mother. Usually it's rice with some meat and vegetables. We never eat beef, though, because my mother is Buddhist.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

We used to make our own at home in a crockpot, but then it had some issues, so we just pickle it in jars now.

NO! NO! No! That's not how make REAL sauerkraut. You ferment it!

They way to make sauerkraut the right way:

Cut up you cabbage and put it in a bowl with salt, and mix it around,(You can not use "normal" salt, the salt everyone uses has been highly processed and will not work for this. You will need to use something else, like Himalayan pink salt). Put a towel over it and let it sit for about 30 min. Then put it in a glass jar, and pack it down(this will take some work!) until the cabbage is submerged in liquid(you don't add water there is plenty of liquid in the cabbage), once submerged, put something in you jar to keep the cabbage submerged( cut out piece of a milk gallon with a weight on top works well).

Now you put it on you counter until you like the flavor(I don't remember just how long it takes, it has been awhile since we have done it.)

Once you like it keep it in the fridge and it will last just about forever. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

NO! NO! No! That's not how make REAL sauerkraut. You ferment it!

They way to make sauerkraut the right way:

Cut up you cabbage and put it in a bowl with salt, and mix it around,(You can not use "normal" salt, the salt everyone uses has been highly processed and will not work for this. You will need to use something else, like Himalayan pink salt). Put a towel over it and let it sit for about 30 min. Then put it in a glass jar, and pack it down(this will take some work!) until the cabbage is submerged in liquid(you don't add water there is plenty of liquid in the cabbage), once submerged, put something in you jar to keep the cabbage submerged( cut out piece of a milk gallon with a weight on top works well).

Now you put it on you counter until you like the flavor(I don't remember just how long it takes, it has been awhile since we have done it.)

Once you like it keep it in the fridge and it will last just about forever. 

Of course we fermented it. Are you contesting a German (or at least half one)? Anyway I get your point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Avery said:

It's an essential part of a Vermonter's diet

I just Googled it!  Going to look for it when I'm up there this Fall or Spring.

17 hours ago, HamRHead said:

My wife does make 'nanna pudding with home-made vanilla custard, but she always puts whipped cream on top. I like the meringue idea. That sounds good.

It makes good use of the whites left over from the separated egg yolks used in the the custard.   

• Like 4