Whatbird Community

Flycatcher ID

13 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Are you contesting a German (or at least half one)? 

Sure, I am all about contests! Besides I am quarter German, my mother being half and may grandfather full. 

My hair has darkened up, but I used to have blond hair and blue eyes(I still have the blue eyes). 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Aw come on, I may be outnumbered here, but the South isn't everything! We have culture up here in the North too!

You're right about that at least. I've been less than enamored with Texas recently given certain current events. At least the birding is still good! Until they ruin that too. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Sure, I am all about contests! Besides I am quarter German, my mother being half and may grandfather full. 

My hair has darkened up, but I used to have blond hair and blue eyes(I still have the blue eyes). 

Germans don't necessarily have blond hair and blue eyes! I have dark eyes after my mother, but they are a lighter hazel color than my sisters and more like my fathers. My father used to have long blond spaghetti hair, but it has since darkened to a dark brown. It may have had something to do with him studying in Hong Kong and eating way too much soy sauce. My father's eyes are a mysterious color, mostly they are light hazel but they have a twinge of green and different shades of colors. Lots of people in the US have German ancestry, but I can say I am the descendant of someone who grew up in Germany, whose family grew up in the same circle of twenty miles of rural countryside for thousands of years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Germans don't necessarily have blond hair and blue eyes! I have dark eyes after my mother, but they are a lighter hazel color than my sisters and more like my fathers. My father used to have long blond spaghetti hair, but it has since darkened to a dark brown. It may have had something to do with him studying in Hong Kong and eating way too much soy sauce. My father's eyes are a mysterious color, mostly they are light hazel but they have a twinge of green and different shades of colors. Lots of people in the US have German ancestry, but I can say I am the descendant of someone who grew up in Germany, whose family grew up in the same circle of twenty miles of rural countryside for thousands of years.

Everyone on my grandfathers side in 100% German, and came from Germany, also some of them came here all the way back before the civil war. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I was just thinking, if anyone comes here from a google search for flycatcher ID, they might think they were misdirected to an ancestry website. :classic_laugh:

10 minutes ago, floraphile said:

We did get a little off-topic...

I think we can blame all of this on @Quiscalus quiscula and @Seanbirds they started it!

Of course I had nothing to do with it.:classic_ninja:

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I have a distant relative who came here before the civil war and registered in West Virginia

If that relative came to the US before the Civil War, he or she registered in what was then Virginia.  The counties that now form WV didn't split off until the war started.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah I'm dark as h*ck and I have Luxembourgish ancestry (and dual citizenship).

My Singaporean influence from my mom may have something to do with that though. 😂

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

If that relative came to the US before the Civil War, he or she registered in what was then Virginia.  The counties that now form WV didn't split off until the war started.

Huh, I think there was something completed about him being captured by the opposite side and trying to rejoin. I have the document somewhere...

55 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Wait, I don't get this. Are you joking about what I said before?

Nope, my dad is German/Luxembourgish and my mom is from Singapore. I definitely have more Asian in my phenotype than Luxembourgish.

• Like 4