Whatbird Community

Getting a Sharp-shinned feeling--small head, short neck, broad shoulders, narrow hips, tail feathers possibly even in length.  But I just post IDs to get corrected.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Getting a Sharp-shinned feeling--small head, short neck, broad shoulders, narrow hips, tail feathers possibly even in length.  But I just post IDs to get corrected.

In the field I thought it was a Sharp-shinned. It looked small and had a quick and snappy wingbeat. But the tail is not square.

Edit: I have no real experience with either species.

Edited by HamRHead

21 hours ago, HamRHead said:

In the field I thought it was a Sharp-shinned. It looked small and had a quick and snappy wingbeat. But the tail is not square.

Edit: I have no real experience with either species.

As I understand it, what you need to look for is not whether the tail is square or rounded.  It's whether the outer feathers are the same length as the central ones (Sharpie) or shorter than the central ones (Coop).  Your shot is so distant I wasn't sure, but it looked to me as if the feathers were even in length.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
skipped a word
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

As I understand it, what you need to look for is not whether the tail is square or rounded.  It's whether the outer feathers are the same length as the central ones (Sharpie) or shorter than the central ones (Coop).  Your shot is so distant I wasn't sure, but it looked to me as if the feathers were even in length.

Thanks. Good to know.