Whatbird Community
hbvol50

opinion on a warbler, please

I was contacted by two birders concerning a photo I posted on eBird of what I thought was a black-throated green warbler.  They think it might be a Townsend's warbler which would be really rare for Tennessee.  These people are or were members of the state records committee for the Tennessee ornithological society and one is a professional ornithologist.  These are all the photos the I have of the bird.  Would be interested in any of your  opinions.

Taken 10/5/18 in Nashville

31251619198_c13805b0e6_b.jpgBlack-throated Green Warbler by hbvol50, on Flickr

43620472790_60ab7a410d_k.jpgDSC_1039 (2) by hbvol50, on Flickr

45437790001_f9bc62c84a_k.jpgDSC_1040 (2) by hbvol50, on Flickr

43620472640_a3018fdc34_k.jpgDSC_1041 (2) by hbvol50, on Flickr

I don't know, but I can't find any examples of Black-throated Green with this much yellow on the belly.

6 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

I don't know, but I can't find any examples of Black-throated Green with this much yellow on the belly.

Yes the yellow on the underside was one of the things that they are focusing on.   I'm not sure if it's the lighting or not and I don't think they are either.

Edited by hbvol50

I regularly see Townsend's Warblers and this doesn't strike me as one. The black throat flaring extensively onto the sides fits Black-throated Green much better than Townsend's. To me it looks like the yellow underside is just from the lighting.

1 minute ago, Winged LEGO said:

I regularly see Townsend's Warblers and this doesn't strike me as one. The black throat flaring extensively onto the sides fits Black-throated Green much better than Townsend's. To me it looks like the yellow underside is just from the lighting.

Thanks for the input.  I was hoping someone who was familiar with Townsend's could provide an opinion.

I see Townsend's a lot, Black-Throated Green a bit less often, but both are common here during northern winter. I also think the black on the sides of the throat and extending down the flanks fits BT Green better, especially since the face pattern isn't very bold for a Townsend's, and a mature male should have a black crown. I don't see the yellow crescent under the eye either. That's not a very bold yellow on the undersides, and I agree it could be photo artifacts (lots of yellow leaves nearby) and I'd expect a much brighter lemon yellow on a Townsend's.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to overrule your panel of experts, however. But I do have extensive experience with Townsend's.