Whatbird Community

Warbler sp? - Quintana Neotropical Bird Sanctuary - Quintana, TX - 9/11/21

I think we can see enough to determine eye arcs as well, which to me is sufficient to rule out Tropical, also given the relative rarity of Tropical anywhere in Texas as compared to Northern.  However, I'm twitching after a Tropical after work today within striking distance, so hopefully I can provide some better photos of the difference before too long :-). 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

I think we can see enough to determine eye arcs as well, which to me is sufficient to rule out Tropical, also given the relative rarity of Tropical anywhere in Texas as compared to Northern.  However, I'm twitching after a Tropical after work today within striking distance, so hopefully I can provide some better photos of the difference before too long :-). 

I’m sure you’re right, it looks completely normal for a Northern Parula.

My point was just that, since I have no personal experience with Tropical Parula, I’m not sure how to rule it out. Also, I think the ID can be more complicated than some assume: http://www.philjeffrey.net/TropicalParula.html

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I’m sure you’re right, it looks completely normal for a Northern Parula.

My point was just that, since I have no personal experience with Tropical Parula, I’m not sure how to rule it out. Also, I think the ID can be more complicated than some assume: http://www.philjeffrey.net/TropicalParula.html

Very cool and informative article link - thank you for the free education here!  With this in mind, it might make more sense to just call it a parula sp to me, given the poor quality/angles of the photos in question. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Very cool and informative article link - thank you for the free education here!  With this in mind, it might make more sense to just call it a parula sp to me, given the poor quality/angles of the photos in question. 

I think you should call it Northern Parula, I think that’s perfectly safe. The photos are good and show obvious eye arcs and limited yellow on the underparts. It’s definitely a Northern Parula. 

You probably have more experience with this ID than I do, I’ve never seen a Tropical Parula in my life. I guess I just wanted to make sure other WhatBirders were considering all possible options before answering

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 5

I suppose I will in that case, but want to concede that I've never seen a Tropical Parula before either, just passively monitored its statistical likelihood throughout the year within Texas as compared to the Northern and found it very infrequently within the confirmed ID category on ebird. 

• Like 2