Whatbird Community

Short-billed Gull question

I think it's just a Short-billed gull with a very pale eye, although I'm not sure if anything special is going on. I would guess not, as I found these two photo pretty quickly while looking through the Macaulay Library.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/360877241

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/132922651

I never knew that Short-billed Gulls could have pale eyes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Do you mean short-billed?

Actually, I meant Mew Gull. I don’t know very much at all about how to identify Common Gull vs Short-billed Gull, and I’m not suggesting that this bird is a Common Gull, but I believe a pale iris is more expected in Common Gull than in Short-billed.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Actually, I meant Mew Gull. I don’t know very much at all about how to identify Common Gull vs Short-billed Gull, and I’m not suggesting that this bird is a Common Gull, but I believe a pale iris is more expected in Common Gull than in Short-billed.

I think Commons are more ... common ... on the European side of the Atlantic.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Yes, I don't have experience with that either. 

https://www.sibleyguides.com/2021/07/mew-gull-is-now-two-species-how-to-identify-common-gull-and-short-billed-gull/

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

but I believe a pale iris is more expected in Common Gull than in Short-billed.

When I was doing some research on this last night, I found that it seems that Short-billed and the Asian subspecies (can't remember how to spell the name) are far more likely to show a pale eye than the Common Gull subspecies outside of the asian subspecies. I also believe that Subspecies could be ruled out by the pale mantle. 

• Like 5

Just now, Aidan B said:

When I was doing some research on this last night, I found that it seems that Short-billed and the Asian subspecies (can't remember how to spell the name) are far more likely to show a pale eye than the Common Gull subspecies outside of the asian subspecies. I also believe that Subspecies could be ruled out by the pale mantle. 

Kamchatka, you mean?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Aren't Short-billed and Common now full species, not subs?

• Like 2