Whatbird Community

Cinnamon Teal vs. other duck sp.

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Well, at least one of them is a Cinnamon teal, I believe, not sure about the birds in the background though. I have no experience with teals.

I only have experience with Green- and Blue-winged Teal, and limited at that.  I read in AAB that Cinnamon Teals are found in freshwater marsh, so I wasn't sure if they would also visit salt marsh.  

Edited by floraphile
additional info
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I would go with "Teal sp.".🙂

4 hours ago, floraphile said:

I will count them as "Duck sp." and note that they were in the company of the CITE.

At least do “Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal”. Based on bill shape they are clearly not Green-winged Teal. In my opinion though it is safe to call all 3 Cinnamon Teal in eBird. As that is what the more expected species is there and they look more like Cinnamons (big bills, plain faces, warm tones).

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

At least do “Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal”. Based on bill shape they are clearly not Green-winged Teal. In my opinion though it is safe to call all 3 Cinnamon Teal in eBird. As that is what the more expected species is there and they look more like Cinnamons (big bills, plain faces, warm tones).

This.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

I trust your opinion, @AlexHenry, so I will change it to 3 Cinnamon Teal.

• Like 1