Whatbird Community

Found dead on Temple University's Campus :(

Found this morning on Temple University's main campus in Philadelphia PA, between the Bio-Life and Beury buildings. Best guess is that it smacked into one of the 3rd story Bio-Life windows. Green back, yellow breast, black cheeks, about the size of a small computer mouse. The only bright yellow birds I've seen near here (about an hour north) have been goldfinches, but I don't think that's what this is.

Vd4eiZT.jpg

• Sad 6

Thanks. Apparently there's been a few of them found dead around the Bio-Life and SERC buildings in the last few days, according to one of the professors. My guess is they might have been going for the spotted lanternflies that have been bombarding SERC, which is completely glass walled outside for the first two stories. 😞

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Cygnata said:

there's been a few of them found dead around the Bio-Life 

Sad irony here...

It could be window strikes; that's a common cause of bird fatalities, and it's migration season so there may be more of some species around. Birds don't recognize that glass is transparent and will fly into a window or glass wall because they think it's an open space. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DLecy said:

If you are finding dead birds, particularly songbirds, in the early morning, it’s almost assuredly the result of a nighttime window strike during migration. There are things that  can be done to help to prevent this. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/why-birds-hit-windows-and-how-you-can-help-prevent-it/

Sadly, there used to be decals to prevent bird strikes on many of the windows, but they were taken down during the pandemic due to "renovations." Administration has not been very responsive to calls for them to be put back.

• Sad 6

10 minutes ago, Cygnata said:

Sadly, there used to be decals to prevent bird strikes on many of the windows, but they were taken down during the pandemic due to "renovations." Administration has not been very responsive to calls for them to be put back.

I forgot to welcome you to WhatBird. Thanks to @DLecy for posting the informative article. 

I hope you can convince them to put the stickers back and avoid having to change the name of the building!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cygnata said:

Maybe leave the corpses on the decision-maker's door step...

• Like 3