Whatbird Community

sparrow? near NY/CT border (7/21/2020)

1. no clue what this guy is. Looks like some kind of sparrow, but can't find one that has this much yellow on its undersides.

2. pic was actually taken near CT/MA border if that matters. Looks like an American Robin, but the white throat seems out of place.

2020-07-18-0575.jpg

IMG_0606 adj.jpg

6 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

The white throat with streaks is actually typical of American Robins.

If you DON'T see those streaks, take a look at the back. If the dark hood extends down onto the back like a cape, you may have a Newfoundland bird! I've been looking unsuccessfully for a few years now every winter. They have a quite small population, and I'm definitely not gonna see one in TN. Waiting for winter break...

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=amerob3&q=American Robin (nigrideus) - Turdus migratorius nigrideus

Edited by Avery
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Avery said:

If you DON'T see those streaks, take a look at the back. If the dark hood extends down onto the back like a cape, you may have a Newfoundland bird! I've been looking unsuccessfully for a few years now every winter. They have a quite small population, and I'm definitely not gonna see one in TN. Waiting for winter break...

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=amerob3&q=American Robin (nigrideus) - Turdus migratorius nigrideus

Interesting. I have seen some robins with more extensive black on the back, but they were probably just weird migratorius

• Like 1