Whatbird Community

Flycatcher

I'm definitely under-qualified here, but was thinking Least based on that photo, which apparently isn't a Traill's?  Can somebody help me understand a bit better why not?  Since Alder doesn't appear to be in that area this time of year, does a Willow get that degree of streaking on the chest sides?

10 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm for Eastern Wood-Pewee. Wouldn't Traill's be quite rare this late? The dusky vest and minimal eyering look good for Pewee.

The angle of the photo isn't great, but doesn't seem to have extensive orange on the lower mandible, nor do the primaries appear long enough for a Wood-Pewee to me either.  Again, qualifying my opinion on this thread with being under-qualified to offer a reliable ID, but enjoying the discussion.

Edited by Caley Thomas 2.0
"primaries" instead of "wings"
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

I'm definitely under-qualified here, but was thinking Least based on that photo, which apparently isn't a Traill's?  Can somebody help me understand a bit better why not?  Since Alder doesn't appear to be in that area this time of year, does a Willow get that degree of streaking on the chest sides?

I think a Least would be more compact, with a larger head and smaller bill.  I am not an expert when it comes to aging birds, but this bird is young (brownish wingbars) which may account for the dark streaked breast.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/369908761

Besides the longer primaries, Eastern Wood-Pewees tend to have shorter legs, smaller eyes, and streaked undertail coverts.  Habitat is also better for a Willow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think a Least would be more compact, with a larger head and smaller bill.  I am not an expert when it comes to aging birds, but this bird is young (brownish wingbars) which may account for the dark streaked breast.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/369908761

Besides the longer primaries, Eastern Wood-Pewees tend to have shorter legs, smaller eyes, and streaked undertail coverts.  Habitat is also better for a Willow.

My question is- What is it doing this late??