Whatbird Community

Macro Photography

meghann

This is such a niche subject, and sometimes people will label something as macro that's really not. Shouldn't be too many/any of birds, because of how close you'd have to get wouldn't be good for the birds, usually. Anyway, if you got 'em, flaunt 'em!

I used to shoot this way a lot, but my lens has gone kaput. Sad panda.

I'm realizing how many flowers I did this way, but I'll only post a few of those. (And bugs, but those are in the other thread)

Dandelion Alstroemeria yellow close up

That depth of field, though. . .

sleet

The ones I got the most buzz about:

snow on leaf snowflake stack

And a funky one that I've always just liked:

Tiny City

• Like 17

Nice shots!  I especially like the sunflower and the snowflake stack, and the alstroemeria and dandelion are fun.

This possibly torpid female Blue-eyed Darner is about 1:2, that is, if the picture were 35 mm, things would be half the size on the negative that they are in real life.  I don't know whether that counts as macro or not.  Click through for full resolution.

Female Blue-eyed Darner

• Like 9

Oh yeah, when you can see all the lenses in a dragonfly's eyes. . . ..that counts.

And thanks! The snowflake stack (which presents too big on here to look right. Let me know if there is a way to show them smaller from Flickr) was my most popular one. The alstroemeria was taken the first day I had that lens.

Edited by meghann
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The first camera I owned I specifically got for the macro capability.  I don't do much macro photography anymore because I mainly carry around a huge zoom lens nowadays.

Fly

IMG_4355.thumb.JPG.3f6ee671cc1f1846deca077a3d7294ba.JPG

I believe this is a Creeping Charlie flower

IMG_2941.thumb.JPG.0bcd21bbb28eff571eede0778d4edf5d.JPG

Baby spiders

Baby spiders

Wolf spider

Wolf Spider

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Great shots!  I especially like that fly, and of course the smiley face on that spiderling in the middle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Shot with 100-500 zoom and a 30mm extension tube.  Doesn't get me a lot more minimum focus distance, but enough I won't have to jump off the porch to get moths in focus on side of the house.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I am loving taking macro shots with my new setup.  I have a Godox MF12 3 light setup coming in later this week.  Can't wait to play around with that.  

Eight-lined Leafhopper

original.jpg

original.jpg

Summer Fishfly

original.jpg

original.jpg

Linden Borer

original.jpg

Mock Strawberry

large.jpg

Asian Oak Weevil

large.jpg

Unidentified Moth

original.jpg

Long-necked Seed Bug

original.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

And what is your new setup?  Great shots!!  Are you focus stacking?

I think all of that batch was 30mm Extension Tube, Raynox 250, and 100mm macro.  I just happened to discover yesterday that if I manual focus all the way to minimum it magnifies the subject.  Never heard/read about that anywhere yet.  

No focus stacking yet.  That is next, and will probably try some of those this week.  I need to read up more on it as I remember seeing a video that the R5 can do it, when combined with DPP software.  

• Like 1

This might be one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken.  Took some pics of this flower head on, and picked it to move it somewhere I could get really close on it.  Somewhere between the ground and the deck it lost a petal, so I decided to shoot it from the side.  Not an angle I have seen much.  

20220726-11a6362_orig.jpg

Gray Treefrog.  I didn't quite nail the focus on the eye.  

20220726-11a6313_orig.jpgoriginal.jpg

First stack I have been able to get to work....2 whole pics.  

original.jpg

This is one of the individual flowers on a clover

20220726-11a6395_orig.jpg

I stacked 14 images handheld for this one in manual focus.  I'm sure there are some weird anomalies somewhere I am missing.  Didn't go over it too much as it was more for practice.  

20220726-11a6346_orig.jpg

Dew drop on Morning Glory flower.  Not sure what the white ball is.  

20220726-11a6145_orig.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 6

Got the Godox MF12 in today.  So I have 3 lights, with just reflectors attached to them to bounce flash.  I am tying to keep them at 2-6-10 positions so I get some light from beneath.  The mounting ring on the Godox doesn't allow me to attach the Raynox, so shots are with just extension tube and macro lens.  There is a DIY solution with some hot glue to attach a step up/down ring and then put diffusers on that.  I may also play with Allan Watts solution of DIY vinegar bottle diffusers.  Much smaller than what I have planned right now.  

This was shot in 3-9-12 positions.  

20220727-11a6900_orig.jpg

20220727-11a6901_orig.jpg

These were in the 2-6-10 positions.

20220727-11a6927_orig.jpg

20220727-11a6893_orig.jpg

20220727-11a6932_orig.jpg

Blew focus on this one, but I think it demonstrates the somewhat even lighting surrounding the Mock Strawberry.

20220727-11a6928_orig.jpg

• Like 3