Whatbird Community

Swallow-tailed Kite? - greater backyard area - Cuero, TX - 9/17/21

Just now, blackburnian said:

I don’t mean at all to be rude, but do you really need others to confirm a bird like this? It’s pretty clear you know what it is and you have a good photo showing all marks of one of the most distinct birds in the US. 

It just seems to me that in the overwhelming majority of your posts, you are correct in your ID. Be more confident in your own instincts. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

I don’t mean at all to be rude, but do you really need others to confirm a bird like this? It’s pretty clear you know what it is and you have a good photo showing all marks of one of the most distinct birds in the US. 

Since it shows up as rare in my area (had to add the bird in), and in case people are going to want to travel in order to see it, I like to be super sure that birds I've never ID'd before are, in fact, correctly ID'd, before putting it up on ebird.  Even though I am generally correct in my ID's, which I appreciate you pointing out, I just don't see the point of posting things on ebird until I am backed up (with relative ease) on the ID through people on this website, particularly when they're new to me (the case with this bird) or relatively tough to ID (such as flycatchers, some shorebird types, etc.). 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Since it shows up as rare in my area (had to add the bird in), and in case people are going to want to travel in order to see it, I like to be super sure that birds I've never ID'd before are, in fact, correctly ID'd, before putting it up on ebird.  Even though I am generally correct in my ID's, which I appreciate you pointing out, I just don't see the point of posting things on ebird until I am backed up (with relative ease) on the ID through people on this website, particularly when they're new to me (the case with this bird) or relatively tough to ID (such as flycatchers, some shorebird types, etc.). 

Your fellow ebirders appreciate your being thorough. 🙂 What a great yardbird!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Understood. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

40 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

It just seems to me that in the overwhelming majority of your posts, you are correct in your ID. Be more confident in your own instincts. 

9 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Understood. 

I believe this needed to be said in a courteous and and respectful manner. Thank you for doing so. It makes a difference how you say it. 👍

• Like 4