Whatbird Community

South Texas Shorebirds

Went out to South Padre Island for the day about a month back. Unfortunately I was too busy to go through my pictures until now, and the shorebirds have always been really challenging for me, so I hope someone can help with confirmations/questions. Thank you in advance!

1) Sanderling?

2) Not sure. Included two pictures of this one. Chest has spots and the bill looks kind of down-turned in the first picture I got. Dunlin? Definitely need help with this one (sorry the photo quality is so poor).

3) Short-Billed Dowitcher?

4) Could this be a Sandwich Tern with the yellow tip on the bill? Would be a lifer so I'm crossing my fingers!

5) Piping Plover?

6) Semipalmated Plover? Sorry for bad picture quality!

Thanks for any help!

bird1.png

bird2.png

bird3.png

bird4.png

bird5.png

bird6.png

Edited by sarehptar

If it helps for the second bird, here is the zoomed out version of one of the pictures. I kind of felt like it might be too big to be a Western Sandpiper but unfortunately there were not any other birds really close to make a size comparison. Don't know if this would be useful but I'll upload it just in case!

otherbird.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I think the 'spots' are more like disjointed streaking left over from breeding plumage.

Ah, now I see the spots in breeding plumage for Western. I even looked for them before posting. Don't know how I missed 'em

• Like 3

Oop, coming back to this thread a bit late, but regarding the Dowitcher, Short-Billed Dowitcher is significantly more common for the location, which probably influenced my identification here. I have never been good at discerning the difference between the two, so if anyone has another thought on it, I'd like to hear it!

It’s a worn adult after the breeding season and the pic is dark. SBDO is more likely, but LBDO cannot not exclusively be ruled out...unless one heard it called. I would use dowitcher sp., or if I were entering this in eBird, SBDO/LBDO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1