Whatbird Community

Bar-tailed or Marbled Godwit & a Mystery Bird

Godwit - today at Tokeland WA Marina. There has been a Bar-tailed in non-breeding plumage there over the last week until yesterday. The below bird is the only bird there that I could see that looked different from the other couple of dozen Marbled Godwits. I'm reviewing my photos against the previous sightings though, and the other bird seems well into less markings and more flat gray non-breeding plumage. Example here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S94536538

Now I'm wondering if I just had a young Marbled instead.

101-L.jpg

098-M.jpg

021-M.jpg

007-M.jpg

It's a lifer for me, and the self doubt is strong with this one.

The other bird is, I think, a Song Sparrow with a pigmentation problem. We were walking the road at Julia Butler Hansen NWR in south-west WA, from the HQ to the end of the road, and it flushed in the brush from the ditch into the shrubbery. Both my husband we intrigued, because it was almost a creamsicle colored bird. Light orange almost with creamy coloring along the edges of the wings. I almost got it pshished out, but never got a clean look out in the open. It had a single, low pitched short call note. It's a lousy shot, but I thought I would throw it out there for the heck of it.

2021%2009%2018%20Unknown%20Hansen%20NWR%

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Wild thought, but the small bird has a female Black-throated Blue Warbler look about the face. The bill looks wrong, though. I'm really not sure.

2 hours ago, meghann said:

The last bird, I *think* the bill is too small for Song. To me it's more along the lines of Chipping or a Bunting or something.

My first thought was Olive Sparrow! 🤣

• Like 3