Whatbird Community

Oh those trouble some Flycatchers

HELP- I think this one looks very good for Willow but they are rare in Florida. Which means it is probably an Acadian but it just seems to have too much buffy in the wing bars, smugging in the chest... What flycatcher do I have? Taken yesterday in Levy County I think. We were in couple counties yesterday.

048.JPG

049.JPG

Just now, Seanbirds said:

Without reading what you said my first impression was Acadian. Wait for a southerner though. @Liam @meghann @HamRHead @Charlie Spencer

Haha, I would be the wrong person to ask; I specialize in turning Acadian into anything but. But for those who can handle the truth...Psst...it looks looks spot on for Acadian, tree branch in the way and all.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

it looks looks spot on for Acadian, tree branch in the way and all.

I only used Sibley's to help id this bird but with that said it looked nothing like Acadian to me and was way darker than the other Acadians on saw on the same day. Perhaps I used the wrong source material. Need to have my eyes examined...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

@Clip How high up was it? Most Empids won’t go too far from the understory, but Acadians like the treetops for some reason.

Not high at all. Maybe 7 feet above eye level. The Acadians I saw the same day were all very high say 20 feet or more above eye level.

3 minutes ago, Clip said:

I only used Sibley's to help id this bird but with that said it looked nothing like Acadian to me and was way darker than the other Acadians on saw on the same day. Perhaps I used the wrong source material. Need to have my eyes examined...

1 minute ago, Clip said:

Not high at all. Maybe 7 feet above eye level. The Acadians I saw the same day were all very high say 20 feet or more above eye level.

Ah, this definitely throws Acadian into question then.

6 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Ah, this definitely throws Acadian into question then.

I really have no dog in this one either. If it is a Willow it is Florida bird. If it is an Acadian it is a photo lifer. So I'm happy either way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clip said:

I really have no dog in this one either. If it is a Willow it is Florida bird. If it is an Acadian it is a photo lifer. So I'm happy either way. 

I’d like to say Willow but it’s pretty rare so without better photos I’m not sure you’ll be able to get it confirmed on eBird.

Here is my most recent Acadian that I tried to turn in to something other. It was perched about 10 feet off the ground, flicking it's tail. Your bird does look much darker. Although I have been surprised in my own photos how much lighting/exposure can vary from one shot to the next, making the same bird look quite different. 

Acadian Fly.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Here is my most recent Acadian that I tried to turn in to something other. It was perched about 10 feet off the ground, flicking it's tail. Your bird does look much darker. Although I have been surprised in my own photos how much lighting/exposure can vary from one shot to the next, making the same bird look quite different. 

Acadian Fly.JPG

This is what the other Acadian's I saw yesterday looked like.

• Like 1

Traill's is grayish rather than yellow green as your bird is, particularly in the first photo. Your bird appears to have a prominent eyering, and that bill is very large. Structure also feels off to me for Traill's.

Edited by Hasan

50 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Traill's is grayish rather than yellow green as your bird is, particularly in the first photo. Your bird appears to have a prominent eyering, and that bill is very large. Structure also feels off to me for Traill's.

What rules out Yellow-bellied?

2 hours ago, Hasan said:

To my eyes my bird is more brown than anything including the wing bars. The primary projections look the right length for of short to medium for Willow's. The eye ring what you can see of it is anything but prominent more thin dirty white than white. And the smudging on the upper chest is Willow. Certainly doesn't fit for Acadian. I don't think there is a difference in bill size between the two species but if there is Sibley's has it looking larger on the Willow. I still think Willow.

I guess I should have added initially that this bird was observed hanging over a natural spring along the Suwanne River that was murkier and higher than usual because of heavy rain both local and up river. The immediate area was all cypress trees.