Whatbird Community

Southern Ontario this morning.

A wastewater lagoon setting but skulking in the deep shade at the bottom of a pine tree.

Spent some time trying to get a photo, this is the only useful one (ISO 20,000).

If my ID is correct it is a first for me and the location.

Thanks.

Sedge Wren EcoP 7529642-.jpg

I think the tail is too long for Sedge, the undertail more buff than brown, and the wing pattern too distinct as opposed to blurry.  Also, Carolinas have been expanding their year-round northern range.

But I'm from the southeast, where Carolinas are dominate.  I encourage other opinions.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

I like Sedge Wren for this bird. Look at that wing pattern, I think it’s too pronounced for a Carolina. Though I could be wrong, I don’t see either of those often enough. 
Edit. Didn’t read Charlie’s post. It still doesn’t feel like a Carolina though...

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I like Sedge Wren for this bird. Look at that wing pattern, I think it’s too pronounced for a Carolina. Though I could be wrong, I don’t see either of those often enough. 

Upon further review, that eye stripe is WAY too short for CAWR, unless it's hidden behind the bird's right shoulder.  I'm not on Team Sedge yet but I can certainly be budged.

• Thanks 1

I just checked the stats and it is pretty late for a Carolina to be moving through, but Sedge is even less likely.

As long as the experts can pin it down I will be a happy camper (I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a look at this skulker).

11 minutes ago, Hasan said:

This is a House Wren. Sedge looks quite different from this bird, and habitat preference of that species is associated with grassland areas

Would you find that much of an eye stripe on a House?

Don't House have strong horizontal stippling on the undertail?  This bird appears to be solid buff under there.

This is the most fun I've had all day.  Pretty sad, huh?  

8 minutes ago, Hasan said:

This is a House Wren

Thanks Hasan, I was suspecting someone would burst my bubble, just haven't seen a House with such distinctive wing markings (it was deep in the shadows so no  lighting effects), but maybe the streaking on the flanks should have been a clue. Oh well!!

14 minutes ago, Hasan said:

habitat preference of that species is associated with grassland areas

Grassland or "sedge" areas (which this was). Just wondering if this is as reliable during migration?

19 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I agree with Hasan.  Young House Wren.

Thanks, but still interested in the (at least to me) fairly subtle differences. Not doubting the suggested ID or concerned about finding a new bird, just trying to learn.

I see a juvenile House has a whitish throat (compared to the adult) but not such a bold wing pattern as a Sedge and also has a somewhat vague supercilium; the House bill also looks longer, slender and more decurved (fairly chunky bill on this one) and the House has no streaking on the back. As usual probably comes down to experience, but not quite sure how this is so clear other than House far more likely than the other options.

Any and all ID tips appreciated.

A Sedge Wren is much less likely to be inside a dense tangle of woody branches at any time of year than a House Wren. Sedge Wrens if they want to hide will fly down deep into the grass. They like wet meadows with lots of carex sedges. Yes even during migration.

As for field marks, the bill is too big, the tail too long, and overall it’s plumage is far too plain and unmarked to be a Sedge Wren. The structure, plumage, and habitat are all consistent with House Wren.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

As for field marks, the bill is too big, the tail too long, and overall it’s plumage is far too plain and unmarked to be a Sedge Wren. The structure, plumage, and habitat are all consistent with House Wren.

Thanks Alex, very much appreciated. It did fly out into a wet, grassy area and disappeared but your ID tips are very helpful.

Devil's advocate, honestly - I get an impression this one is moulting and pushing out it's tail feathers, also isn't the bill of a House more slender, decurved and longer than a Sedge?, and as I mentioned before the white supercilium appears quite distinct on this bird.

Again, House is the obvious choice but ignoring time of year..........

All assistance/tips for a mediocre birder (old dog, new tricks) very much appreciated.

Sedge is far more compact than this bird. It's round and tiny with a short tail and short bill, unlike your bird which is elongated. In terms of color, your bird is a dark brown overall. Sedge is a very light straw color.

Honestly Sedge Wren is a tad more similar to the grassland sparrows (i.e. Grasshopper, LeConte's, etc) in terms of behavior and field impression than House or Carolina Wren.

• Like 4