Whatbird Community

This bird was distant and flying away when I took this photo, so this is all I have.  It was taken off the SW coast of Nova Scotia on Sept. 5th during a whale watching trip.  I am leaning towards South Polar Skua, but I have no experience with skuas and little experience with jaegers.  If anyone with more experience/expertise can chime in, I would appreciate it.  

IMG_2058.jpg

12 hours ago, DLecy said:

It’s really bulky, has obvious white (even at that angle) on the primaries of the upper wing, and doesn’t have the wing shape of a jaeger sp. I agree with Skua.

Thanks for the feedback.  The bulk and primaries are what I noticed.  The solid dark body is more typical of South Polar than Great, and South Polar is more likely in Fundy this time of year.  Any thoughts on how reliable the body color is for ID?

39 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

I agree that Skua sp seems likely, but if Great is possible in the area it won’t be distinguishable from this photo. 

Agreed.  Great is not likely there this time of year, but still possible.  I put it in eBird as Skua sp.  But hey, at least I saw a skua! 

• Like 6