Whatbird Community

24 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Philadelphia Vireo is extremely rare in California

It has pale lores and a white throat, it’s obviously a Warbling Vireo

I'm not sure I would say extremely rare in CA. Philadelphia Vireo was removed from the CBRC review list (my personal threshold for extremely rare) in 1999, over 20 years ago. 2020 was a particularly good year for the species across the state, which skews some of the data. 

Your point is valid though. In CA, Warbling is always going to be the default, and even bright WAVIs should be considered WAVIs until proven otherwise through careful inspection or very good photographs.

• Like 2

I think the shadows are making the lores appear darker than they are, which contributes to the Philly-esque appearance. But in photos 1 and 4 we can see the lores are pale, indicating Warbling.

Wavi. 😎

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DLecy said:

I'm not sure I would say extremely rare in CA. Philadelphia Vireo was removed from the CBRC review list (my personal threshold for extremely rare) in 1999, over 20 years ago

Try finding one in any of Napa, Solano, Contra Costa, Alameda, or Santa Clara counties - it would be a first county record

• Like 3