Whatbird Community

Are these pure Mallard Ducks?

Both of those ducks have clear gape spots so they are not pure mallard. Also, the eyeline doesn't extend as far back as you would expect on pure mallard. The duck on the right appears to be a male because the yellow bill color and I would expect this time of year to see some green or gray starting to show as he phases into normal plumage. I don't much that looks like a mallard. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, von Humboldt said:

Both of those ducks have clear gape spots so they are not pure mallard. Also, the eyeline doesn't extend as far back as you would expect on pure mallard. The duck on the right appears to be a male because the yellow bill color and I would expect this time of year to see some green or gray starting to show as he phases into normal plumage. I don't much that looks like a mallard. 

Looks like I'm ending the day at 2 for 3 for ID guesses.  No point in me clarifying the statement on why I thought they were "pure mallards."  I hadn't researched the features well enough, and my instincts were incorrect.  

This must be a tough subject though, as almost all of my other ID questions are answered within minutes, but whenever I have any doubts about Ducks being either Mallards, Mottled, or Mallard x Mottled hybrids, replies take much longer to come in, and there usually aren't too many.  

Do you think these are pure Mottled Ducks, or Mallard x Mottled Hybrids?

Ty

• Like 1