Whatbird Community

Taken on 9-15-2021 at the Los Angeles River in Atwater Village, CA.

There were about 50 of these small sandpipers that all seemed to be about the same size.  All of those that I could clearly see the legs had yellowish legs. 

They landed in the shallow water, then after a while all flew around, then landed back in the water.  I believe these are Least Sandpipers, but I want to make sure since they don't seem to be in the proper habitat.  Normally they prefer mudflats and the waters edge -- which is where I have seen them in the past in small groups of 3 to 5.  But here the whole large group was wading out in the center of the very shallow river -- maybe for lack of preferred habitat. 

Through this section of about 5 miles of the river, called Glendale Narrows, the river has a concrete embankment on the sides, and a natural bottom with trees and vegetation growing in it -- except for the sections immediately before and after a roadway overpass where the bottom is concrete and runs very shallow with lots of sediment and organic material.  This is where the sandpipers were.

2021-09-15_LA_River_(LF)_0496_w.jpg

2021-09-15_LA_River_(LF)_0925_w.jpg

2021-09-15_LA_River_(LF)_0953_w.jpg

2021-09-15_LA_River_(LF)_0960_w.jpg