Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Bird Banding


floraphile
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am going to observe bird-banding for the first time. 

 https://www.gulfshores.com/events-calendar/community-events/fort-morgan-bird-banding/

I found the banding protocol on ebird:

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000950859-guide-to-ebird-protocols

I won't be banding, but I do want to count the birds I see while I am there.  Would I do my own lists following the Banding Protocol or do I have one of the banders share their list of banded birds with me and I edit to reflect what I personally saw?

 @Connor Cochrane@Liam

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usually the banders will do a checklist just for the birds that were caught and banded, and they will sometimes keep a running list for the birds they see/hear in the background. You should ask them if they are doing a banding checklist, as eBird has special type of checklist for that, and they'll probably share it with you if you want. 

Have fun! It's always cool to see the birds in hand.

Edited by Avery
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, floraphile said:

I won't be banding, but I do want to count the birds I see while I am there.

 

11 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Usually people don't count the birds caught at banding stations on their life lists, right?

 

My take on the ABA rules was that birds caught in the nets wouldn't be countable, but after they were released and shaken off the effects of being captured, they would once again become countable. You can't count the birds immediately after release, but once they're back to normal behaviour you can count them. It may not be that simple, but that was my take on it. I don't count birds so my spin on this doesn't really matter, but if I saw bird X at a banding station and was pretty sure that I would never get the chance to see/count that species ever again, if it was possible I think I'd make the effort to get that bird on my list, even if it meant trying to track it for a few minutes after being released until I was comfortable that the bird was no longer under the influence of being confined. Admittedly, MY comfort level in making a call in that situation might not measure up to someone else's comfort level in the same situation. That same comfort level might also be influenced by the value of the bird wanted for the list, too. 

Having said all that, I wonder if the best approach might be to focus on the birds before they get caught in the nets.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's how I used to submit eBird checklists when I was banding at Splinter Hill Bog:

I'd start my daily checklist of all birds seen and heard, not including the birds we banded: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60340757

Then, I'd start my banding checklist, which included only the birds we banded: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60340635

Note that the latter checklist is marked  "incomplete" because it does not include all birds heard and seen.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lonestranger said:

 

 

My take on the ABA rules was that birds caught in the nets wouldn't be countable, but after they were released and shaken off the effects of being captured, they would once again become countable. You can't count the birds immediately after release, but once they're back to normal behaviour you can count them. It may not be that simple, but that was my take on it. I don't count birds so my spin on this doesn't really matter, but if I saw bird X at a banding station and was pretty sure that I would never get the chance to see/count that species ever again, if it was possible I think I'd make the effort to get that bird on my list, even if it meant trying to track it for a few minutes after being released until I was comfortable that the bird was no longer under the influence of being confined. Admittedly, MY comfort level in making a call in that situation might not measure up to someone else's comfort level in the same situation. That same comfort level might also be influenced by the value of the bird wanted for the list, too. 

Having said all that, I wonder if the best approach might be to focus on the birds before they get caught in the nets.

Thank you for the clarification and advice, @lonestranger.  I agree with what you've said.  I will not count them when confined or restrained in any way.  The matter is moot for today, as heavy rains forced cancellation.  😞 I look forward to when I can attend a banding and see the little fellows so close and hopefully take a few pics. 

I do see that some banders include the netted birds on their daily ebird list accompanied by photos of literal bird-in-hand, and obviously, not free.

Edited by floraphile
typo
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm glad that @floraphile started this topic, since I also might might might be going to my first bird banding in a couple of weeks.

Would it happen to be for Saw-whets? Because that's going on right now!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm glad that @floraphile started this topic, since I also might might might be going to my first bird banding in a couple of weeks.

I hope you get to go! I just did my first two days this past weekend and had a BLAST. Currently trying to set up doing a lot more!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, I hope so too! I'd be going with a naturalist/ birder? (mostly a plant person but knows quite a bit about birds as well).

That's my hand holding him! 😁 https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pm6njetsz62vvk/20211011_084419.mp4?dl=0

By the end of the two days, I was doing multiple unsupervised net extractions, and even helping new people hold the birds. I'm hooked!

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...