Whatbird Community

hawk ID- no pictures

I'm not an expert, but I agree with Charlie, though isn't there a Peregrine/Prairie or "large falcon" option?  I don't see anything in the description or October range maps that favors either species.

You might want to say how high it was flying--low would hint at Prairie, I believe--and how you ruled out Mississippi Kite and Northern Harrier, which could probably be very brief.

For wordsmithing, you might want to delete "other" before "buteos", since it wasn't a buteo, and "obviously" before "gliding", since gliding typically is obvious and you don't have to defend it.

And some subjective personal advice: I recommend waiting for your life Peregrine till you get one you're sure of.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I'm not an expert, but I agree with Charlie, though isn't there a Peregrine/Prairie or "large falcon" option?  I don't see anything in the description or October range maps that favors either species.

You might want to say how high it was flying--low would hint at Prairie, I believe--and how you ruled out Mississippi Kite and Northern Harrier, which could probably be very brief.

For wordsmithing, you might want to delete "other" before "buteos", since it wasn't a buteo, and "obviously" before "gliding", since gliding typically is obvious and you don't have to defend it.

And some subjective personal advice: I recommend waiting for your life Peregrine till you get one you're sure of.

It was way up. also did you look at the range map for just this month of 2021? I rewrote the description https://ebird.org/checklist/S95864754

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, Jerry Friedman said:

sorry if I am being annoying, but if you look at the weekly bar charts for Riley, KS, there does seem to be an obvious difference in likelihood for the two species. @Jerry Friedman @Charlie Spencer @Seanbirds ? also a birder that I know from my area said that he was almost positive it was a Peregrine because of how early it is in the year. another birder that I know is an expert-4,000 plus on his life list- has reported a Peregrine a few times this month near me.

Edited by kansabirdguy
  • Like 2

I'm not saying it wasn't a Peregrine, only that your original description didn't seem to me to be sufficient to support a positive identification one way or the other.  I haven't read the revised comments yet.

In the long run, the only one you have to justify this to is yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a Peregrine, only that your original description didn't seem to me to be sufficient to support a positive identification one way or the other.  I haven't read the revised comments yet.

In the long run, the only one you have to justify this to is yourself.

I really want this to be a Peregrine but I want it to be  a Peregrine. I don't want to make a wrong ID but it does seem like the more likely species.  It was flying through a flock of gulls seemingly hunting. would this provide any clues as to species?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

sorry if I am being annoying, but if you look at the weekly bar charts for Riley, KS, there does seem to be an obvious difference in likelihood for the two species. @Jerry Friedman @Charlie Spencer @Seanbirds ? also a birder that I know from my area said that he was almost positive it was a Peregrine because of how early it is in the year. another birder that I know is an expert-4,000 plus on his life list- has reported a Peregrine a few times this month near me.

Yes, now that I've looked at the bar charts instead of the data for the whole month, I see why you say Peregrine is much more likely, even "almost positive" as the other birder said.  But falcons are very mobile, and personally, I wouldn't report a species or put it on my own list just because the other possible species was a week or two early.

I don't know anything about gulls as a prey species of either Peregrine or Prairie.

I think your new description is better.  It would be even better to say what about the shape was wrong for accipiters and Mississippi Kite.  However, I don't always follow my own advice, especially for species that aren't all that rare--I've been know to say things like "Gull shape" in eBird reports.

"In winter most Prairie Falcons switch to a diet featuring Horned Larks and Western Meadowlarks." https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Prairie_Falcon/lifehistory

"Typical prey include shorebirds, ptarmigan, ducks, grebes, gulls, storm-petrels, pigeons, and songbirds including jays, thrushes, longspurs, buntings, larks, waxwings, and starlings." https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Peregrine_Falcon/lifehistory

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

"In winter most Prairie Falcons switch to a diet featuring Horned Larks and Western Meadowlarks." https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Prairie_Falcon/lifehistory

"Typical prey include shorebirds, ptarmigan, ducks, grebes, gulls, storm-petrels, pigeons, and songbirds including jays, thrushes, longspurs, buntings, larks, waxwings, and starlings." https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Peregrine_Falcon/lifehistory

That's because most Prairie Falcons winter in places with no gulls.  I don't think it tells us much about what a migrating Prairie Falcon would do if it happened on a flock of gulls.

• Like 1