Whatbird Community

Can I Finally Get Credit for an American Crow?

The following took place this morning in Del Rey Beach, Florida:

I see and hear Fish Crows almost every day, but I still have no official sightings of any American Crows.  I’m hoping my post will knock this one off my list, but what I heard and saw was weird, and I need confirmation:

A few seconds before the posted audio and video, I heard what I know to be the short “caw” call of a Fish Crow.  With 100% certainty, it also came from the same bird in the video.  Then, all of a sudden, the call sped up and doubled.  Judge for yourself, but it sounded to me as if a human ingested helium and then kept repeating “uh-oh” with a fast cadence.  The other oddity is apparent in the audio clip.  I heard a bird a little farther away answering the fast, double call with a single Fish Crow, short “caw.”

So, what’s the verdict?  Do I have another new ID, or is the bird in the video a Fish crow, or is it impossible to tell whether it is a Fish Crow or an American Crow?

Please note that some of you may get the Imgur clip muted by default, but you can un-mute it by clicking on the volume icon.

https://i.imgur.com/ICfY43z.mp4

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959/delray-beach/s-65BQHJjFGug?si=f2f609e58a9b45fe9cd57ef3789f6a33

Edited by dragon49

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The double "uh-uh" call is normal Fish Crow.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Fish_Crow/sounds

That link is very informative.  I see and hear Fish Crows almost every day within large groups in residential parking lots and with those birds, I always get the single "caw."  Most of the time on trails, a number of the Fish Crows are sharing the same tree and I've only ever heard the single "caw."  The bird in question from my original post was alone in a tree.  It did start out with single "caws," but then moved on to double ones.  So many articles state how smart crows are, so the different calls must mean different things.  I'm "Googling" around for some interpretations - nothing yet.

2 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Can somebody pls watch the vid in my original post and let me know what kind of bird had the triple whistle call?  Was it part of this conversation, or completely random that I captured that audio as well.

Whatever the other bird was, it was simply calling at the same time you videoed the Fish Crow.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Whatever the other bird was, it was simply calling at the same time you videoed the Fish Crow.

Ty - I'm still dying to know what the heck the birds were talking about. 🙂  Whatever prompted the the change from the "Ah" single call to the faster "Uh uh," as well as the other Fish Crow answering the new calls with a single call, must have all meant something.  I'm going to be "birding" for a long time and am sure I'll figure out many of the mysteries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

Ty - I'm still dying to know what the heck the birds were talking about. 🙂  Whatever prompted the the change from the "Ah" single call to the faster "Uh uh," as well as the other Fish Crow answering the new calls with a single call, must have all meant something.  I'm going to be "birding" for a long time and am sure I'll figure out many of the mysteries.

Maybe they were discussing going to the beach instead of looking for food? 😉

• Like 1