Whatbird Community

20 minutes ago, Liam said:

Any other photos? I'm not sold on Coop by any means. Facial structure is much more reminiscent of Sharp-shinned and a tail looks squared.

Unfortunately no. Only a super blurry one before and behind the tree shot after. He was moving quick and I’m surprised I even got this one.

54 minutes ago, Liam said:

Facial structure is much more reminiscent of Sharp-shinned and a tail looks squared.

The dorsal view of a COHA/SSHA tails is problematic at best. Wear, molt, and angle of viewing present significant ID challenges with regards to this field mark. The nape is suggestive of sharpie, although the lighting in the pic is not ideal. Structurally it feels much more like a coop to me. It’s head is not small and projects well beyond the wings in a manner which supports COHA. 

This bird is somewhat of a “tweener” IMO. I could see it being a juvenile female sharpie, but feel better calling it a juvenile male coop based on the above.

• Like 6