Whatbird Community

Question: change in frequency over time in eBird?

PaulK

Hi, I can't figure out how to do something that must be easy with eBird data. Is it possible to see a bird's frequency in an area and how it changes over time? Relatedly, how can I look at this year vs past averages? There must be a way to see that, e.g., there were a ton of pine siskins around last year, or for instance confirm my impression that this is a good year for white-throated sparrows on the west coast. Thanks in advance!

ETA: bar charts seem to be static aggregations of data as opposed to what I'm trying to do, but I'm guessing it's possible with the same tool.

Edited by PaulK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Hi, I can't figure out how to do something that must be easy with eBird data. Is it possible to see a bird's frequency in an area and how it changes over time? Relatedly, how can I look at this year vs past averages? There must be a way to see that, e.g., there were a ton of pine siskins around last year, or for instance confirm my impression that this is a good year for white-throated sparrows on the west coast. Thanks in advance!

On the eBird web page, check the Help links.  I recall a FAQ or something about downloading data.  You can also submit a question for assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, meghann said:

On the bar charts page, you can also click for line graphs. You'd have to manually change the date range each time, but might at least give you an idea of what you're looking for?

Thank you. This isn't exactly what I'm looking for, because as far as I can tell this only gives the aggregated data over the entire length of time specified. So if I want to compare incidence rates between now and the past I'd have to look those both up then manually compare numbers. I have just enough stats to know that this would be a really good way of misunderstanding the importance of the numbers. It looks like tools for this are forthcoming though...

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Can you not use the Histogram data on the bar charts.  I just threw this together by pulling 2020 and 2021.  American Goldfinch as an example has apparently been less frequent this year.  

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 4.08.13 PM.png

Yeah, could do. I was hoping it would be available somewhere without needing to dust off my excel skills though...

On 10/17/2021 at 5:20 PM, PaulK said:

Yeah, could do. I was hoping it would be available somewhere without needing to dust off my excel skills though...

I can send you what I have, or if you let me know the county I can pull the data and throw it in the file first.

3 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I can send you what I have, or if you let me know the county I can pull the data and throw it in the file first.

Is this basically a pivot table with a slicer for the species?