Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, meghann said:

Guess there's a Slaty-backed invasion???

Slaty-backed Gull in St. Johns, NEW BRUNSWICK (Province first!!!!!)

Slaty-backed Gull in Madison County, NEW YORK

Slaty-backed Gull in Horry County, SOUTH CAROLINA (State first!!!!!)

. . . .and apparently there is one in Wisconsin, too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, IKLland said:

Letting you know there’s been a great crested flycatcher here in orange, Ca for the past two weeks or so. 

I believe that one was discussed earlier in the thread. Or maybe I imagined that. Some people out there still don't agree with the ID. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

I bet it’ll stick. I think two people had eyes on a likely Prairie Falcon in that area right after sunset today. 

That's a ugly spot to be, almost sure, but not quite..... Of course, we have all done it a hundred times, but for me never with anything that rare. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random question for the folks in this thread: do any of you know what the story is with the Sea Eagle in Texas? I went to look up the first sighting because I was curious how the person described something so outlandish, but there are no sightings on eBird in the state. Did they just leave it unconfirmed, or flag it as sensitive and keep off the map, or...?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Random question for the folks in this thread: do any of you know what the story is with the Sea Eagle in Texas? I went to look up the first sighting because I was curious how the person described something so outlandish, but there are no sightings on eBird in the state. Did they just leave it unconfirmed, or flag it as sensitive and keep off the map, or...?

It's a good question. I think it has to do with the fact that the Texas sighting wasn't by a birder/eBirder. The bird was seen and photographed as a one time sighting by a tourist at a private ranch/nature retreat and then circulated on Facebook.

Importantly though, the sighting was accepted by the Texas Bird Records Committee on Dec. 9th, 201. So, the record was confirmed by the records committee, but I'm not sure why it hasn't been adde to eBird yet. It's likely that it will eventually get added into the eBird database, but hasn't yet as of the writing of this.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Oh! I can't imagine something so stunningly rare showing up and nobody finding it again, what a disappointment that must have been!

Totally. Texas is such a massive state with primarily private land (~96% private was the last stat I read, I think), so who knows where that bird eventually went. Without an open wing shot, we will likely never know if that bird was/is the same one recently spotted in the NE, although there are many, many people who assume it is. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Oh! I can't imagine something so stunningly rare showing up and nobody finding it again, what a disappointment that must have been!

The problem may be that the person who found it( who appears not to be a birder), didn’t describe exactly WHERE it was. Therefore, nobody might have relocated it. 
 

Also, @DLecy, how could it get entered into ebird if the person isn’t on ebird? Why can’t somebody just ask them to make an account and submit it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IKLland said:

The problem may be that the person who found it( who appears not to be a birder), didn’t describe exactly WHERE it was. Therefore, nobody might have relocated it. 
 

Also, @DLecy, how could it get entered into ebird if the person isn’t on ebird? Why can’t somebody just ask them to make an account and submit it?

I’m sure at some point someone who adds historical records to eBird will get it added.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...