Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
Message added by Kevin,

Recommended Posts

Heerman's Gull in Wrightsville Beach, NORTH CAROLINA (probably the same one that's been wandering the east coast for the past year, but first time it's been spotted in NC. State first record! Someone jokingly asked on FB what the record is for state firsts from a single bird. ?)

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, meghann said:

Heerman's Gull in Wrightsville Beach, NORTH CAROLINA (probably the same one that's been wandering the east coast for the past year, but first time it's been spotted in NC. State first record! Someone jokingly asked on FB what the record is for state firsts from a single bird. ?)

That's the adult that had been in Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Virginia among other places. The immature bird is still near Hopewell, Virginia, and was photographed today. That is a day trip for me, for sure. Too bad it's going to be snowing tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

That's the adult that had been in Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Virginia among other places. The immature bird is still near Hopewell, Virginia, and was photographed today. That is a day trip for me, for sure. Too bad it's going to be snowing tomorrow.

Yep, and it was here in Georgia, and also Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. State firsts for all, I believe.

It's interesting the adult has been that widely traveled, and the immature one has stayed put. Maybe they'll meet up at some point.

Edited by meghann
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meghann said:

Yep, and it was here in Georgia, and also Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. State firsts for all, I believe.

It's interesting the adult has been that widely traveled, and the immature one has stayed put. Maybe they'll meet up at some point.

Were you able to see it when it was in Georgia?

There should be a t-shirt for this wandering adult Heerman's Gull, just like the one that Code 5 Design has made for the Steller's Sea-Eagle, listing all the states & provinces that it has visited.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Were you able to see it when it was in Georgia?

There should be a t-shirt for this wandering adult Heerman's Gull, just like the one that Code 5 Design has made for the Steller's Sea-Eagle, listing all the states & provinces that it has visited.

Took me several tries, but finally in October:

DSCN3402

The shirt idea is a great one, although might want to wait and see if more states are hit, like Delaware or New York.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...