Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, meghann said:

(yet another in the trend of out of state birders finding crazy birds!)

I'd wager a guess that this is partly due to out-of-staters paying more careful attention to their IDs. It's definitely easy to assume something familiar from a brief look when you know what to expect and are in a familiar place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

A late addition of a Purple Gallinule in Botetourt County, VIRGINIA

 

 

2 hours ago, neilpa said:

This bird has been hanging around through at least yesterday, but I don't see any reports from today yet. However, there's some talk that this may not be a "pure" Slaty-backed and could have some Glaucous-winged influence.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S96512112

https://ebird.org/checklist/S96494825

All of the eBird reports have remained unconfirmed to this point too

 

Apparently there is another Slaty-backed in Benton County, Washington, too.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, neilpa said:

I'd wager a guess that this is partly due to out-of-staters paying more careful attention to their IDs. It's definitely easy to assume something familiar from a brief look when you know what to expect and are in a familiar place.

Could be, I would also suggest that if people are coming from somewhere that a bird is common, they are more likely to spot it. I have had it happen several times, that I see bird that are uncommon/rare where I am, that are super common at home, and yet it takes me 4 days to find the bird that is supposed to be super common there...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Life's crazy busy over here, but some highlights from the past few days:

Bar-tailed Godwit on Kiawah Island, SOUTH CAROLINA (state first!) https://ebird.org/checklist/S96705078

Small-billed Elaenia (first id'ed as a White-crested) caught by banders, in Tadoussac, QUEBEC

Gray-tailed Tattler in Monroe County, FLORIDA (first reported as Wandering Tattler, which ebird checklist still has.) https://ebird.org/checklist/S96748150

Groove-billed Ani in Perth County, ONTARIO

Pink-footed Goose - reports in Maine and Connecticut. Seems to be a good year for them. Apparently Quebec has had 24 records since September.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meghann said:

Gray-tailed Tattler in Monroe County, FLORIDA (first reported as Wandering Tattler, which ebird checklist still has.) https://ebird.org/checklist/S96748150

 

Like many of these ABA rarities, I didn't even know there was such a bird. Would've made the same mis-ID myself. I guess these get more scrutiny on the east coast where Wandering Tattler is way out of range. I wonder how many of these are missed on the west coast.

Anyway, here's an interesting comparison page

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, meghann said:

Today so far:

Lesson's Seedeater in Pointe-aux-Outardes, QUEBEC---obviously there is a huge origin debate going on for this bird currently. The Quebec records committee will be taking a vote on it at some point.

Black-throated Gray Warbler in Hammonasset, CONNECTICUT (yet another in the trend of out of state birders finding crazy birds!)

 

Arghhh sad I was not be able to go look for that Black-throated it was just a little to far for a Sunday.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heerman's Gull being reported in Hopewell, VIRGINIA. My digging seems to show that this is a DIFFERENT bird than the one going up and down the east coast, since someone uploaded a sighting from August of what seems to be this bird at the same time the more well known bird was being seen in Florida.

Today's bird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S96770401

August Virginia sighting: https://ebird.org/checklist/S96774167

August Florida sighting on the same day: https://ebird.org/checklist/S93326975

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, meghann said:

Heerman's Gull being reported in Hopewell, VIRGINIA. My digging seems to show that this is a DIFFERENT bird than the one going up and down the east coast, since someone uploaded a sighting from August of what seems to be this bird at the same time the more well known bird was being seen in Florida.

That's wild, both that it's a different bird and that it was in the same area in August!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a Gray-tailed Tattler in Monroe County, FL at Harry Harris State Park. I so want to chase this bird but hubby does not😪 It is over 6 hours away away from us. A Florida first. If seen in the US it is usually Alaska.

Edited by Clip
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Clip said:

If it is still being seen by the weekend hubby says we may go. Seen again yesterday.

😲 I just looked up the price for a hotel, the same hotel we stayed in on a previous visit to Monroe County, FL. the price has TRIPLED!!! 12 hours round trip driving at our ages just isn't that good of an idea. I'm shocked!

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Clip said:

😲 I just looked up the price for a hotel, the same hotel we stayed in on a previous visit to Monroe County, FL. the price has TRIPLED!!! 12 hours round trip driving at our ages just isn't that good of an idea. I'm shocked!

:classic_sad:

Too bad!! I understand about the age/driving time thing all too well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Clip said:

😲 I just looked up the price for a hotel, the same hotel we stayed in on a previous visit to Monroe County, FL. the price has TRIPLED!!! 12 hours round trip driving at our ages just isn't that good of an idea. I'm shocked!

I figured out why. I used weekend dates Sat. Sun. If I wait until Monday Tuesday it is cheaper.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, Peromyscus said:

Can you go on Monday and Tuesday? Or tomorrow and Thursday?

So every other week we have granddaughter duties that keep us in town. Sadly she was sick most of the week. By Wednesday we knew should would have to stay home from school sick freeing us to chase this bird during the week. We left early Thursday morning. I found the bird at 1:40 PM Thurday 11-4-21 but the bird got flushed by another person before I had a good enough look to know for sure I had it. Looking at my photos later in the day I knew I had. My husband did not get to see the bird however and I wanted better photos. So we went back the next day but it was raining dogs and cats and maybe even miniature goats. We thought about heading home. But then decided hey we are here and we have tried a couple of times to take a glass bottom boat tour on prior trips to the area, and for reason or another they weren't running. We decided to try again even if it meant staying another night. The rain had not canceled the trips so we booked one. We had sometime to kill so we went back in hopes of seeing the bird. The rain had let up other birders had found the bird so we saw it in short order. I got good photos...WOOT WOOT!!! Lifer Happy Dancing.MEGA rarity...Gray-tailed Tattler. The first photo is from the first day when I wasn't sure what I had. The rest from the second day.

013.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I slacked on this, I was out of town chaperoning a group of teenagers at a national fine arts festival competition.

Some highlights from the past week:

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Malden, WEST VIRGINIA

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Liverpool, NOVA SCOTIA

Black-chinned Hummingbird in Branson, MISSOURI https://ebird.org/checklist/S97048022

Stellar's Sea Eagle in Windsor, NOVA SCOTIA https://ebird.org/checklist/S97077843

Emperor Goose in Puyallup, WASHINGTON https://ebird.org/checklist/S97131650

Harris's Sparrow in Curry Hammock State Park, FLORIDA

Brambling in Lane County, OREGON https://ebird.org/checklist/S97079543

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Clip said:

So every other week we have granddaughter duties that keep us in town. Sadly she was sick most of the week. By Wednesday we knew should would have to stay home from school sick freeing us to chase this bird during the week. We left early Thursday morning. I found the bird at 1:40 PM Thurday 11-4-21 but the bird got flushed by another person before I had a good enough look to know for sure I had it. Looking at my photos later in the day I knew I had. My husband did not get to see the bird however and I wanted better photos. So we went back the next day but it was raining dogs and cats and maybe even miniature goats. We thought about heading home. But then decided hey we are here and we have tried a couple of times to take a glass bottom boat tour on prior trips to the area, and for reason or another they weren't running. We decided to try again even if it meant staying another night. The rain had not canceled the trips so we booked one. We had sometime to kill so we went back in hopes of seeing the bird. The rain had let up other birders had found the bird so we saw it in short order. I got good photos...WOOT WOOT!!! Lifer Happy Dancing.MEGA rarity...Gray-tailed Tattler. The first photo is from the first day when I wasn't sure what I had. The rest from the second day.

013.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

Congratulations!!!!!!

Those are really nice photos!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...