Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Recommended Posts

Any birder with enough knowledge to know about vagrants would know better than to push his luck that far trying to do something intentionally. I wonder if they could come in via shipping of some sort?  Perhaps even stowed away in a load of nursery stock , produce, or the like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SirVive said:

I wonder if they could come in via shipping of some sort?  Perhaps even stowed away in a load of nursery stock , produce, or the like?

I could see that as a real possibility. I am now using a shipping container as a storage shed and have already had to chase birds out on three occasions in the first two months. I'm not sure if they were looking for nesting sites or just curious, but they could have easily been closed in if I didn't see them flush deeper into the container when I approached to close the doors. I now do a walk through everytime I close the doors just to be safe, shipping companies might not always take that added precaution though.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of interest from today's ABA rare bird roundup (https://www.aba.org/rare-bird-alert-june-24-2022/). TWO state first Limpkins! Plus one in Amarillo Texas, the farthest west the species has gone (so far).

The Limpkin summer continues to be absolutely ridiculous, as both Nebraska and Iowa picked up their state 1st records on exactly the same day. The Nebraska Limpkin is near Omaha, and the Iowa Limpkin in is Lucas.

In Utah, a well-documented Alder Flycatcher was photographed, and most crucially, recorded, in Salt Lake, representing that state’s 1st record.

Up to Yukon, where a sharp male Thick-billed Longspur at Watson Lake is a territorial 1st.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Of interest from today's ABA rare bird roundup (https://www.aba.org/rare-bird-alert-june-24-2022/). TWO state first Limpkins! Plus one in Amarillo Texas, the farthest west the species has gone (so far).

The Limpkin summer continues to be absolutely ridiculous, as both Nebraska and Iowa picked up their state 1st records on exactly the same day. The Nebraska Limpkin is near Omaha, and the Iowa Limpkin in is Lucas.

In Utah, a well-documented Alder Flycatcher was photographed, and most crucially, recorded, in Salt Lake, representing that state’s 1st record.

Up to Yukon, where a sharp male Thick-billed Longspur at Watson Lake is a territorial 1st.

This Limpkin invasion is just incredible. What a time to be alive. 
 

@Michigan people Hellooo?!?! @chipperatl @Tanager 101 @me let’s find this state first. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Yeppers. One was near Minneapolis a year ago, so why not Michigan? Or even Ontario?

Exactly. I’m very surprised one hasn’t been detected ANYWHERE in Canada yet. I’m sure it’ll be soon though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

The Limpkin summer continues to be absolutely ridiculous, as both Nebraska and Iowa picked up their state 1st records on exactly the same day. The Nebraska Limpkin is near Omaha, and the Iowa Limpkin in is Lucas.

As of right now, NONE of the 50 Limpkin eBird reports from Nebraska have been confirmed. A little over half of those are from yesterday. In fact, 130 out of the 158 reports in the state rare bird alert have not yet been confirmed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Can’t wait for the rare shorebirds to show up in migration, as I don’t have any of them. (Ruff, pectoral, baird’s, etc.)

Shouldn't have to wait to much longer! There was a Semi Sand found here in Sac this morning, along with some other shorbs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

Can’t wait for the rare shorebirds to show up in migration, as I don’t have any of them. (Ruff, pectoral, baird’s, etc.)

Pectoral is not actually that hard to find in Michigan*

 

*Yet I still haven't found it!!!!!!!!! 😖

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Southern Lapwing has been posted to Michigan RBA Discord - Wurtsmith AFB

 

A930C4C8-28AD-4566-9C48-373596427558.jpeg

Per the Michigan birding discord - apparently an employee at the AFB filmed the Lapwing in late May! It's been there for a month!! :th

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Per the Michigan birding discord - apparently an employee at the AFB filmed the Lapwing in late May! It's been there for a month!! :th

This is a wild record. It will be interesting to see if it sticks and if it's possible to view. I wonder if the AFB is even open to the public? The MBRC will have loads of fun with this one.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DLecy said:

This is a wild record. It will be interesting to see if it sticks and if it's possible to view. I wonder if the AFB is even open to the public? The MBRC will have loads of fun with this one.

Audio recorded and seen this morning.  It is a former AFB, now used for cargo plane maintenance.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Audio recorded and seen this morning.  It is a former AFB, now used for cargo plane maintenance.  

Even better. Are the Michigan people in this forum going to chase it?!? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Even better. Are the Michigan people in this forum going to chase it?!? 

You bet! I’m going to pick up @Tanager 101on the way, early Saturday I think. Hope it’s found again (only that one sighting this morning) or it’s hiding spot discovered. It’s a massive place for that guy to be hanging around…

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...