Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Message added by Kevin,

Great map found by @PaulK! Be sure to check it out.

https://kiwifoto.com/rba/plot.php

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Willow Warbler showed up twenty minutes away from me. Hopefully I can get there before sunset, I can't leave school until 5:30 so I'll be cutting it close.

Dang, if you get two ABA rare warblers in less than 48 hours that’ll be insane!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DLecy said:

I got the bird. First lower 48 record. Third North America record. Un-real!!!

Awesome!!

Not to diminish the significance of this California bird, but, I see that eBird has Willow Warbler sightings in multiple (4+) years at both Gambell (8 years, 2007- ) and St. Paul (5 years, 2011- ). This has to mean that more than one individual was sighted at each place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Awesome!!

Not to diminish the significance of this California bird, but, I see that eBird has Willow Warbler sightings in multiple (4+) years at both Gambell (8 years, 2007- ) and St. Paul (5 years, 2011- ). This has to mean that more than one individual was sighted at each place.

Ah, yes. I looked too quickly. It's a first lower 48, but there are many records form Gambell and the Pribilofs. You are correct.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Ah, yes. I looked too quickly. It's a first lower 48, but there are many records form Gambell and the Pribilofs. You are correct.

There are three locations in Alaska with Willow Warbler records. Gambell, St. Paul (Pribilofs), and Shemya (Aleutians, 1 bird, in 2021).

Edited by Peromyscus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Not to diminish the significance of this California bird, but, I see that eBird has Willow Warbler sightings in multiple (4+) years at both Gambell (8 years, 2007- ) and St. Paul (5 years, 2011- ). This has to mean that more than one individual was sighted at each place.

 

55 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Ah, yes. I looked too quickly. It's a first lower 48, but there are many records form Gambell and the Pribilofs. You are correct.

 

53 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

There are three locations in Alaska with Willow Warbler records. Gambell, St. Paul (Pribilofs), and Shemya (Aleutians, 1 bird, in 2021).

Willow Warbler is a rare (but probably regular, at least to some degree) reverse fall migrant to the offshore islands of western AK. I should also mention that there is a previous record of what was thought to possibly have been a WIWA from Santa Cruz a few years back. Two separate phylloscopus warblers in CA in one week is indeed insane! Wood Warbler is the better bird, however, so if you can only chase one, go for Woody!

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bird-Boys said:

 Warbler is the better bird, however, so if you can only chase one, go for Woody!

This is very subjective. Both are firsts for the lower 48. I would take either, in an instant.

If you can only go for one, I say go for the one closest to your house. ?

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

If you can only go for one, I say go for the one closest to your house. ?

I guess that means that the Wood Warbler is the one I should go for. It's definitely a few dozen miles closer to my house than the Willow Warbler, whether I drive or fly. On the other hand, what's a hundred or more miles when both birds are over 2500 miles away?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peromyscus said:

I guess that means that the Wood Warbler is the one I should go for. It's definitely a few dozen miles closer to my house than the Willow Warbler, whether I drive or fly. On the other hand, what's a hundred or more miles when both birds are over 2500 miles away?

Well, in your case, and the case of many others who will likely chase this bird if it sticks, chase the bird at the location that has the cheapest airline, hotel, and car rental fares...ahaha. Also worth considering, San Francisco is more pleasing to the eyes, IMO. Now that I have the Willow Warbler, I would personally choose the Wood Warbler. ?

Just in case anyone is interested. My photos aren't great, but I was also pushing my two year old in the stroller while birding/taking pictures. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S120924897

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

Well, in your case, and the case of many others who will likely chase this bird if it sticks, chase the bird at the location that has the cheapest airline, hotel, and car rental fares...ahaha. Also worth considering, San Francisco is more pleasing to the eyes, IMO. Now that I have the Willow Warbler, I would personally choose the Wood Warbler. ?

Just in case anyone is interested. My photos aren't great, but I was also pushing my two year old in the stroller while birding/taking pictures. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S120924897

Your photos are nice!

If (hahaha) I go to look for either warbler, I could listen in my rental car to radio stations that I listen to over the internet (KALX Berkeley and KSPC Claremont) here in Maryland.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Cool!  Kyle Matera, the guy who submitted the checklist, is one of our county reviewers.  I recently went on two of his guided Audobon Everglades tours and he pointed out 11 lifers to me!

That hotspot is only 15 minutes from me, but I don't feel like chasing the Red-legged Honeycreeper right now.  I'm going to spend the next week and a half birding at familiar locations.  I'm going to Orchard View Park on Saturday, October 29th, as part of another Audobon Everglades tour, this time, led by somebody else.  I'm confident I'll get at least a few lifers.  Perhaps the Red-legged Honeycreeper will be one of them.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Cool!  Kyle Matera, the guy who submitted the checklist, is one of our county reviewers.  I recently went on two of his guided Audobon Everglades tours and he pointed out 11 lifers to me!

That hotspot is only 15 minutes from me, but I don't feel like chasing the Red-legged Honeycreeper right now.  I'm going to spend the next week and a half birding at familiar locations.  I'm going to Orchard View Park on Saturday, October 29th, as part of another Audobon Everglades tour, this time, led by somebody else.  I'm confident I'll get at least a few lifers.  Perhaps the Red-legged Honeycreeper will be one of them.

 

 

I’d recommend chasing those birds as soon as you can.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IKLland said:

I’d recommend chasing those birds as soon as you can.

I agree. @dragon49. Not sure if you are aware of exactly how rare they are, but something of that stature showing up only 15 minutes from your house may never happen again. Just saying.

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...