Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Message added by Kevin,

Great map found by @PaulK! Be sure to check it out.

https://kiwifoto.com/rba/plot.php

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, DLecy said:

I agree. @dragon49. Not sure if you are aware of exactly how rare they are, but something of that stature showing up only 15 minutes from your house may never happen again. Just saying.

One of them has been reported this morning, @dragon49. I certainly would go if a mega was that close to my house. (The DC MacGillivray's Warbler (a DC first) was maybe 20 minutes from my house, and I went as soon as I could and saw it on its second day. It was reported from the 15th to the 18th, and not yesterday.)

The birds near the entrance to the Everglades were only reported on eBird for three days, 10/16-10/18. The Key West birds were reported from the 14th through the 16th.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are now FOUR honeycreepers in Palm Beach County, according to https://tropicalaudubon.org/rare-bird-update:

  • Orchard View Park, Delray Beach, Palm Beach County: Last reported October 20 (eBird) Photo Directions: From I-95, exit at Linton Blvd. (Exit 51). Drive west 2.0 miles to the park entrance (no fee, open 8:00AM to sunset). Up to two birds, a female and an immature male, have been seen in a large tree in the center of the park. Map

  • Dubois Park, Jupiter Inlet, Palm Beach County: Reported October 20 (eBird) Photo Directions: From Florida’s Turnpike in Jupiter, exit at Indiantown Road (SR 706, Exit 116). Drive east 6.3 miles to Ocean Blvd. (SR A1A). Turn left and drive north 0.4 miles to Jupiter Beach Road. Turn right and drive east less than 0.1 mile to Dubois Road. Turn left and drive north 0.3 miles to the park entrance (fee, open sunrise to sunset). Two birds, a female and an immature male, were seen in a Ficus tree in the center of the park. Map

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

One of them has been reported this morning, @dragon49. I certainly would go if a mega was that close to my house. (The DC MacGillivray's Warbler (a DC first) was maybe 20 minutes from my house, and I went as soon as I could and saw it on its second day. It was reported from the 15th to the 18th, and not yesterday.)

The birds near the entrance to the Everglades were only reported on eBird for three days, 10/16-10/18. The Key West birds were reported from the 14th through the 16th.

And @DLecy and @IKLland  I get it.  I also ran into a birder this afternoon who told me that at the same hotspot there was a tree with tons of Warblers. At least one I remembered from the conversation (Tennessee Warbler) would be a lifer.

I'll let you guys know if I go.  In any event, I continue to chug along.  Look at the lifers thread in 5-10 minutes. ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! I've never seen an owl outside of bird sanctuaries but I've heard what I think I've identified as a tawny owl outside my window more than twenty times throughout late summer and early autumn. Have you ever seen a snail kite from Florida? They're one of my favourite American raptors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

A White Wagtail has been reported from Marin County, California:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S121265735 but photos not uploaded at this time

"Bird found by Michele Swartout. Distinctive. Photos."

I hope it sticks around so you northern Californians can see it.

The bird was allegedly flushed by something before many people got to see it. I think the current reports indicate that two people saw it. This location is 5 minutes from my house, but I already have a White Wagtail at the same place the Willow Warbler was found, so I didn't chase it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DLecy said:

The bird was allegedly flushed by something before many people got to see it. I think the current reports indicate that two people saw it. This location is 5 minutes from my house, but I already have a White Wagtail at the same place the Willow Warbler was found, so I didn't chase it.

I got there 10 minutes after it was flushed and stayed till sunset. Never came back. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Michigan may have a 2nd Limpkin, or the 1st one has moved farther inland.  

Also Vermillion Flycatcher looks like maybe a One-day Wonder in Marquette, MI.

Tropical/Couch's Flycatcher in Macomb, MI

Sagebrush Sparrow in Marquette, MI

Michigan, the bird magnet!

Doesn't that Limpkin know to fly south?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Michigan, the bird magnet!

Doesn't that Limpkin know to fly south?

I did some quick analysis a couple days ago.  Using current Review List, this is the most review species seen in a single year in past 20 years of eBird data.  The bar charts don't have subspecies that are review, like the Great White Heron seen this year.  Prior to the Tropical/Couch's and Vermillion we are at 46 review species.  So 47 species, 1 ssp. and 1 "/".  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I did some quick analysis a couple days ago.  Using current Review List, this is the most review species seen in a single year in past 20 years of eBird data.  The bar charts don't have subspecies that are review, like the Great White Heron seen this year.  Prior to the Tropical/Couch's and Vermillion we are at 46 review species.  So 47 species, 1 ssp. and 1 "/".  

Wow

eta: Stochasticity for the win

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...