Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
Message added by Kevin,

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

This is nuts! I wonder where it came from?!?

People suspect that since it’s not an irruption year, it’s almost certainly human-assisted in some way. Theories are that it’s ship-assisted from …?  Another theory is that it’s an escapee from Hollywood. FYI, there was a Facebook post of a Snowy Owl in Los Angeles county a few months ago. Almost certainly the same bird, I’d guess. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

People suspect that since it’s not an irruption year, it’s almost certainly human-assisted in some way. Theories are that it’s ship-assisted from …?  Another theory is that it’s an escapee from Hollywood. FYI, there was a Facebook post of a Snowy Owl in Los Angeles county a few months ago. Almost certainly the same bird, I’d guess. 

Ship-assisted seems most plausible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Would that count on my official state list? 

You can count whatever you want to count as your “official” state list. It will be interesting to see how the CBRC rules on this bird. eBird tends to follow BRC rulings. So, it really depends on what “authority” you follow, or don’t follow, to compile your life list.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

You can count whatever you want to count as your “official” state list. It will be interesting to see how the CBRC rules on this bird. eBird tends to follow BRC rulings. So, it really depends on what “authority” you follow, or don’t follow, to compile your life list.

Would people here count this or not? I’d love people’s opinions. I’ve never been in a situation like this so I’m torn.

Edited by IKLland
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Would people here count this or not? I’d love people’s opinions. I’ve never been in a situation like this so I’m torn.

Did you see Lehman's post?

Personally, I would follow the CBRC ruling as to whether or not I count this bird. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

What you mean by “official” is the crucial part of that question.  

My own personal state list. 

7 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Are you asking for your own personal state list, or your ebird state list? I would count it. If your reviewer says to not count it though, I wouldn't.

I’m asking for my own person state list, not eBird. EBird wants us to report every single bird that’s not in a zoo or on a farm at the time of the observation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IKLland said:

My own personal state list. 

I’m asking for my own person state list, not eBird. EBird wants us to report every single bird that’s not in a zoo or on a farm at the time of the observation. 

It's really how you want your state list to be. It could be an escapee, or it could be a wild bird. If I saw it in that circumstance, I would count it. There is no proof that it is not a wild bird, but then at the same time there is no proof that it is a wild bird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Birds are cool said:

It's really how you want your state list to be. It could be an escapee, or it could be a wild bird. If I saw it in that circumstance, I would count it. There is no proof that it is not a wild bird, but then at the same time there is no proof that it is a wild bird. 

True, it it’s almost certainly ship-assisted. I’ll share this for those of you that haven’t seen it. 
DD4DFDB2-25E5-484D-AC68-4E2A5B5A3305.thumb.png.c42673dc51c5c01af7451d84ac54d2af.png

 

B47D8662-E97B-4779-9A8C-13D33E0F660E.thumb.png.e180d3c610040a914d35ffd462023dc6.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, IKLland said:

My own personal state list. 

I’m asking for my own person state list, not eBird. EBird wants us to report every single bird that’s not in a zoo or on a farm at the time of the observation. 

If it is a wild bird I’d count it.  Ship assist is for the bird police.  You still saw a wild Snowy Owl.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Second every confirmed report of a Golden-fronted Woodpecker east of the Mississippi!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S124786415

I’d be interested to see how they rule out a xanthochroistic RBWO, like this one: (https://feederwatch.org/color_variant/xanthochroism/). The recorded calls on that sound like a RBWO, but listening to GFWO calls they sound the same to me. I’d need experience to differentiate them. 
Also there is one record from Florida, that also doesn’t describe how a pigment problem was ruled out. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...