Jump to content
Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert


meghann
 Share

Recommended Posts

Recent ones:

Tufted Duck in Morristown, NEW JERSEY

Eurasian Tree Sparrow in St-Barthélémy, QUEBEC https://ebird.org/qc/checklist/S97907031

Common Eider in Copper Harbor, MICHIGAN https://ebird.org/checklist/S97980531

Northern Gannet off Ipperwash Beach, ONTARIO (was also seen the next day a bit further west, where it crossed over into Michigan waters.) https://ebird.org/checklist/S97933399

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2021 at 10:02 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

Of course. I was born in New York, but lived in New Jersey for awhile. I’m pretty neutral on the whole matter. 

Yeah, for me if somebody moves to NJ from here it raises some eyebrows, but generally up here it's more upstate versus downstate. (Or maybe it's just me being jealous of all of the good birds down on the coast.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Past few days. Some really good ones in here!:

Barred Owl in Washoe County, NEVADA https://ebird.org/checklist/S98023686

Pink-footed Goose in Wappingers Falls, NEW YORK

Elaenia species in Waukegan, ILLINOIS (birder only had a brief glance and got one shot that is definitely not a normal flycatcher species. Some people are guessing White-crested, but bird hasn't been refound.)

King Eider in King County, NORTH DAKOTA

Northern Lapwing in Port au Port Peninsula, NEWFOUNDLAND

Barnacle Goose in Mercer County, NEW JERSEY https://ebird.org/checklist/S98041614

Garganey in Riverside County, CALIFORNIA https://ebird.org/checklist/S98034311

Brown Booby in Kent County, RHODE ISLAND https://ebird.org/checklist/S98043680

Anna's Hummingbird in Jefferson County, KENTUCKY (1st state record!) https://ebird.org/checklist/S97788001

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 12:20 PM, meghann said:

Past few days. Some really good ones in here!:

Barred Owl in Washoe County, NEVADA https://ebird.org/checklist/S98023686

Pink-footed Goose in Wappingers Falls, NEW YORK

Elaenia species in Waukegan, ILLINOIS (birder only had a brief glance and got one shot that is definitely not a normal flycatcher species. Some people are guessing White-crested, but bird hasn't been refound.)

King Eider in King County, NORTH DAKOTA

Northern Lapwing in Port au Port Peninsula, NEWFOUNDLAND

Barnacle Goose in Mercer County, NEW JERSEY https://ebird.org/checklist/S98041614

Garganey in Riverside County, CALIFORNIA https://ebird.org/checklist/S98034311

Brown Booby in Kent County, RHODE ISLAND https://ebird.org/checklist/S98043680

Anna's Hummingbird in Jefferson County, KENTUCKY (1st state record!) https://ebird.org/checklist/S97788001

 

 

Elaenia is now being reported as a Small-billed Elaenia, with new sightings and the photos. 3rd ABA/2nd State Record

Edited by Avery
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, meghann said:

Tufted Duck (and Tufted Duck x Scaup hybrid) in Snohomish County, WASHINGTON

Ugh, I spent almost 2 hours yesterday in the rain scanning thousands of ducks trying to find this bird with no luck. And of course it was refound shortly after I gave up.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Ugh, I spent almost 2 hours yesterday in the rain scanning thousands of ducks trying to find this bird with no luck. And of course it was refound shortly after I gave up.

To cheer you up, did you read this checklist? 😂

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98146723?fbclid=IwAR099qwc355IDaIC6nannmYOlGraWdyHo2xeirhx-VzGlF7pFujOPvWF730

  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Ok, help me out here. I don’t understand how you can report such a mega rarity without adding comments. At least for me, when I submit something rare, it says that you MUST add comments, otherwise you can’t submit the list. 

When one a computer there is a "complete" box you have to check. You don't have to do anything else just check the box, clearly if you don't add photos or comments your bird probably will not get confirmed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Ok, help me out here. I don’t understand how you can report such a mega rarity without adding comments. At least for me, when I submit something rare, it says that you MUST add comments, otherwise you can’t submit the list. 

 

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

When one a computer there is a "complete" box you have to check. You don't have to do anything else just check the box, clearly if you don't add photos or comments your bird probably will not get confirmed.

I don’t know if there were before, but if you look now, there’s photos…

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, Seanbirds said:

Then if it’s obviously a Gray Kingbird from the photos, why would one necessarily need to add comments?

I think what is being asked, is how they got around adding a comment for a rarity. When you report something rare on ebird, it requires a comment before it will even let you submit a checklist, and you can't add photos until after you've submitted the checklist. Maybe he had a comment before adding photos, then deleted it once the photos were there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recents:

Gray Kingbird in York County, MAINE https://ebird.org/checklist/S98397016

Harris's Sparrow in Pensacola, FLORIDA

Brambling in Les Laurentides County, QUEBEC https://ebird.org/checklist/S98369456

Northern Lapwing in Les Iles-de-la-Madeleine, QUEBEC

And even though there is debate over it being a real species: Hoary Redpoll in Garfield County, WASHINGTON https://ebird.org/checklist/S98377355

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, meghann said:

Recents:

Gray Kingbird in York County, MAINE https://ebird.org/checklist/S98397016

Harris's Sparrow in Pensacola, FLORIDA

Brambling in Les Laurentides County, QUEBEC https://ebird.org/checklist/S98369456

Northern Lapwing in Les Iles-de-la-Madeleine, QUEBEC

And even though there is debate over it being a real species: Hoary Redpoll in Garfield County, WASHINGTON https://ebird.org/checklist/S98377355

 

 

 

 

What's with the GRKI lately?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...