Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert

meghann
Message added by Kevin,

There is a posting on Michigan Discord that Michigan's 2nd Limpkin from Nov 2022, may have survived last winter and was spotted again on 1/1/24.  Original finder stated they thought they might have seen it in May 2023 also.  This or a huge coincidence that 3 sightings in last 14 months are within 2 miles of each other.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zoroark said:

Between all the vagrants hanging out in Southern Texas (especially the Bare-throated Tiger-Heron and Cattle Tyrant), having some PTO, the calculations I ran a few days ago, and @Connor Cochrane's trip report, I've been really tempted to go down there again for a few days.

DO IT!!!

I've given a little thought to flying down to Corpus Christi to see Caty the Cattle Tyrant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Only thing found was a chunky Iceland Gull...so far.  

Looks like the observer removed the bird. Did anyone else see it? Was this  an mis-ID?

15 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Looks like the observer removed the bird. Did anyone else see it? Was this  an mis-ID?

Sorry for the typos. Was this a misidentification? Seems like the Ivory Gull was removed from the original observer’s checklist.

4 hours ago, DLecy said:

Sorry for the typos. Was this a misidentification? Seems like the Ivory Gull was removed from the original observer’s checklist.

Nobody else saw it.  The Iceland was found the next day, so possibly a mis-ID on the Iceland.  There was a report that a Bald Eagle flew in and scattered the birds before other birders got on site.  

Today is probably the end of the line for the Cattle Tyrant in Corpus Christi, Texas. Daytime air temperatures have been in the 20s, and wind chill temperatures are in the teens. This is a tropical species. 😢

A friend is in Corpus today looking for it, and found & photographed it huddled right up against the front of Retro, a restaurant. That report is not on eBird yet; the only report so far said it was "often hiding under parked cars & working the sidewalk."

Update: there are four new reports since I last checked, including my friend's.

• Sad 3

CATY the Cattle Tyrant has been eBirded three time today so far, including from the past hour: "Continuing. Mainly seen on Lawrence between Chaparral and Mesquite, actively forwarding and feeding on bugs." Temperatures there are above freezing. So maybe it will pull through! 🤞

• Like 4

On 1/16/2024 at 2:22 PM, Peromyscus said:

CATY the Cattle Tyrant has been eBirded three time today so far, including from the past hour: "Continuing. Mainly seen on Lawrence between Chaparral and Mesquite, actively forwarding and feeding on bugs." Temperatures there are above freezing. So maybe it will pull through! 🤞

Today it was in the 70s in Corpus Christi. CATY was photographed on top of an automobile, among other places, so it is doing alright 😃 

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/613687680

• Like 4

On 1/15/2024 at 10:34 AM, Peromyscus said:

Daytime air temperatures have been in the 20s, and wind chill temperatures are in the teens.

7 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Today it was in the 70s in Corpus Christi.

What did I just say over in the Young Birders thread?

@Kevin

"Besides if he fell in you wouldn't need to even pull him out. In Texas before you could figure out how to get to him over the thin ice it would be melted, the creek dried up, and he'd be half roasted with his feet baked into the once-upon-a-time mud on the bottom and wishing for some of that ice back"

• 2 weeks later...

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) (1)

- Reported Jan 25, 2024 10:37 by Steve Patterson

- Outlet Pointe Wastewater Treatment Facility (Limited Access), Lexington, South Carolina

Folks have been reporting this one for the last three days.  Picked it up myself this morning.

• Like 7