Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert

meghann

7 minutes ago, meghann said:

There was one in Nova Scotia today. Don't know if it's the same one, or if there are two.

Where did you see that information? I currently see nothing in the NS eBird rare bird alert.

The Massachusetts bird was admired all morning and into the afternoon https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN36336&sortBy=obsDt&o=desc

4 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Where did you see that information? I currently see nothing in the NS eBird rare bird alert.

The Massachusetts bird was admired all morning and into the afternoon https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN36336&sortBy=obsDt&o=desc

Derp. Facebook strikes again. It likes to show me posts in the group from the past. That was November. 🙄 It also bumped one from 2013 and put it as new.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

That entire RBA should be copied and re-read anytime someone feels like they are “losing” any motivation for birding.  The joy in some of those checklists just comes through.  What a great bird and experience for those lucky enough to see the Eagle.  

• Like 6

Voting is currently underway for BC's bird of the year. Mine was for the Tri-colored Heron - I have no idea what could have brought that to Vancouver Island this summer.

Pochard - Feb - Parksville- 2nd BC Record 
Redwing - Feb - Saanich - 4th BC Record 
Bristle-thighed Curlew - May - Haida Gwaii - 3rd BC Record 
Curlew Sandpiper - May - Delta 
Great-tailed Grackle - July - Colwood 
Wood Sandpiper - July - Victoria - 3rd BC Record 
Tri-colored Heron - July - Cowichan Bay - 1st BC Record 
Oriental Turtle-dove - July/Nov - Prince Rupert - 4th/5th BC Records 
Short-tailed Albatross - Aug - Off of Tofino 
Ferruginous Hawk - Aug - Edgewood
Orchard Oriole - Sept - Metchosin 
White Wagtail - Oct - Haida Gwaii
Emperor Goose - Dec - Haida Gwaii 
Red-shouldered Hawk - Dec - Agassiz - 1st BC Photo Record 

• Like 6

Northern Lapwing in Queen Anne's County, MARYLAND (there is much discussion about this not being the same bird seen further north. Looks like there might be multiple birds on the east coast, which is great news for us eastern seaboard peeps. Last time there was an invasion we even got one here in Georgia. Fingers crossed!)

Yellow-billed Loon in Union County, NEW MEXICO

• Like 3