Whatbird Community

ABA Rare Bird Alert

meghann

4 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Mottled Duck in Montgomery County, MARYLAND (not my checklist) https://ebird.org/checklist/S99518221. First apparent record for the state (1 earlier record not accepted, another not reviewable). The location is less than half an hour from my house, so it didn't very long for me to drive to the site.

Awesome bird. Hoping to find one for Michigan this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

What does that mean?

For example, the Gyrfalcon I saw in Humboldt appears like this on my eBird checklist, but is otherwise unsearchable and not available to the public, except for the reviewers for that region. Same exact thing for my Gunnison Sage-Grouse checklist and a few others.

1257483962_ScreenShot2021-12-31at2_01_57PM.thumb.png.5be051f586df8fa1fa06df214b192317.png

• Like 6

There's been a Mockingbird living in the same cluster of trees near Vancouver BC for at least the last 38 days. Certainly not unheard of, but rare enough that the minor sensation this bird caused when it was first spotted can be seen on the abundance graph for the region.

Screenshot_20220102-101531.png

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PaulK said:

There's been a Mockingbird living in the same cluster of trees near Vancouver BC for at least the last 38 days. Certainly not unheard of, but rare enough that the minor sensation this bird caused when it was first spotted can be seen on the abundance graph for the region.

Screenshot_20220102-101531.png

Cool!

It's actually not on the review list for BC as far as I can tell, though.

34 minutes ago, PaulK said:

It's on the RBA!

ETA: @meghannhow do you find the review list?

A bird showing up on a state or province's rare bird alert isn't the same as the ABA rare bird alert. (otherwise, there would be hundreds of birds to post all the time.) It's more for review species birds, or birds that are so rare they're not on the lists at all. (Like the Bat Falcon in Texas recently.)

Here is British Columbia's: https://bcfo.ca/british-columbia-rare-bird-review-list/

• Like 3

Guess there's a Slaty-backed invasion???

Slaty-backed Gull in St. Johns, NEW BRUNSWICK (Province first!!!!!)

Slaty-backed Gull in Madison County, NEW YORK

Slaty-backed Gull in Horry County, SOUTH CAROLINA (State first!!!!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3