Whatbird Community

How to train your wild birds....

Hello all again from Tampa Florida.  I have an online backyard bird-feeder streaming live on Twitch+Youtube...Check it out sometime!

Top of the Feeder:
www.twitch.tv/birdsiviewcam

Bottom of the Feeder:
www.youtube.com/user/birdsiviewcam

So finally the weather here in Tampa is starting to become less hot and humid.  That only means one thing....Suet Time!  I would like to ask the group how to train the birds to eat from the suet feeder?  What I think I am going to try is that all the birds love the sunflower seeds so I was thinking to mix them into the suet feeder and see if that gets their attention.  Any suggestions?

suet.JPG

I like your bird feeder stream! I don't think you'll have to worry about "training" the birds to eat suet. Many species love it and will use it. Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens and Pine Warblers are a few in your area that will probably utilize it. 

• Like 2

Hey Kadynn...Thanks for the stream bump! When I initially setup this feeder, I was naive to the fact that there are other less courteous birds (crows and grackles) that like to shovel out all my seed within hours and only hunt for the corn and peanuts! Since then I had to incorporate seed "lock down" measures and only allow 1/2 inch square entry points for the other birds to access from.  It has been working great so far.  I do have a resident Red-bellied woodpecker that seems to only takes seed from the back left corner.  I don't even know if he or she knows that the suet is just around the corner.  I think I am going to do another mod to the suet feeder so that the birds can also access the seed below it....STAY TUNED! 

• Like 2

To keep the bigger birds from tossing out your seed, consider a separate feeder for peanuts.  I'd also consider moving the suet to a separate pole.  Some suet-eating birds may find it difficult to access it as you have it currently mounted, esp. the larger woodpeckers, jays, etc.  That may also be why the Red-bellied sticks to one corner - it may be the only spot he can get a grip.  

I'd avoid putting out corn at all.  It's useful for game birds but there are very few feeder birds that eat it.  Doves will, but they'll eat other things too.  Once it's on the ground, it's unfortunately attractive to squirrels, mice, rats, etc. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BirdsIviewCam said:

The seed mix that I was using had corn in it.  The mix I use now is mostly sunflower seeds.  I do know there are blue birds in the area but never have I seen them ever at my feeder.  Do they like a different type of seed?

Bluebirds don’t really eat seat. They might show up a at a suet feeder, but the best bet is probably mealworms, but I’d only put them out if they’re in your yard. 

• Like 2

So I did a slight modification.  I mounted the suet feeders with 1/2 inch access holes as to limit the larger beaks from raiding and what a hit!  I noticed that the seed draw to this feeder are the sunflower seeds and thought what if I throw in some sunflower seeds in with the suet to associate that sunflower good so suet good also!

Check it out: www.twitch.tv/birdsiviewcam

<this site has very wonky editing and video requirements>

Anyhu...lets see if this works again...

So much fun this weekend watching all the birds enjoy the feeder!

Even an acrobatic Red-winged Blackbird doing the splits was fun to watch!

Check it out: www.twitch.tv/birdsiviewcam

• Like 2