Whatbird Community

Would wood be correct?

Mandarin is correct, note the pale tip to bill, white stripe running from behind the eye, and different structure to the body.

I think that's the first time I've gone to the BackYard Chickens forum to help with a bird ID!

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaws13 said:

which would be crazy rare  in Peoria AZ

Keep in mind that this is most likely a domestic escapee and not a wild migrant. Mandarin Ducks are popular with collectors so they sometimes escape from captivity and pop up in weird places. Since they are short distance migrants it is nearly impossible that a wild vagrant would make it to North America on its own. That being said, I still counted Mandarin Duck on my life list and reported it on ebird, but since they are not yet an established breeding population they are not technically countable and no report of Mandarin Duck is ever confirmed in my county. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Colton V said:

I still counted Mandarin Duck on my life list and reported it on ebird, but since they are not yet an established breeding population they are not technically countable and no report of Mandarin Duck is ever confirmed in my county. 

I have an Egyptian Goose like that.  It was at a local farm pond for a couple of days, hanging out with some Canadas.  It shows up on my life list but not if you search for sightings.  I don't regard it as an issue; it was there, I saw it, I have pictures, it's on my list.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I think that's the first time I've gone to the BackYard Chickens forum to help with a bird ID!

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Really!?!?! I posted something one there not too long ago! 

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm on backyard chickens as well!

Gotta check this out! I've got chickens...

• Like 3