Whatbird Community

All Rufous/Allen's Hummingbirds? (any identifiable to species?) - Xmas Mtns Oasis - Brewster Co, TX - 10/16/21

Interesting bird. I’d enter it into eBird for now as Rufous/Allen’s Hummingbird, then send the spread tail shot to your local eBird reviewer, Sheri Williamson, or any other trusted authority on bird ID. I can send it to a local California birder who is a big hummingbird buff.

Keep in mind that the notching/pinching on the R2 of a juvenile male Rufous Hummingbird can be quite subtle. And the tip of the R2 is slightly out of focus in the one relevant photo. So I’m not sure we can rule out Rufous Hummingbird. Additionally R3-R5 seem fairly broad and rounded.

Only one of these photos contains any information relevant to the identification

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Interesting bird. I’d enter it into eBird for now as Rufous/Allen’s Hummingbird, then send the spread tail shot to your local eBird reviewer, Sheri Williamson, or any other trusted authority on bird ID. I can send it to a local California birder who is a big hummingbird buff.

Keep in mind that the notching/pinching on the R2 of a juvenile male Rufous Hummingbird can be quite subtle. And the tip of the R2 is slightly out of focus in the one relevant photo. So I’m not sure we can rule out Rufous Hummingbird. Additionally R3-R5 seem fairly broad and rounded.

Only one of these photos contains any information relevant to the identification

Thanks!  Please share with your friend if you would, and I will enter it into ebird as you suggested for now.  I also noted the relatively broad and rounded tail feathers...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I agree. R5 is the key here, and it doesn’t look particularly narrow. I’d lean heavily that this is an immature male RUHU. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1