Whatbird Community

Tough to identify since we have no idea of size relative to other gulls, it is difficult to gauge the color of the mantle due to the lighting, we only get to see the bird in one posture, and we can’t really see the plumage pattern of the primaries. Not much information to go off here. Probably best written off as Gull sp.

If I had to guess I’d say something in the Glaucous-winged x Herring camp. The primaries are darker than the mantle but appear to be not totally black. The head and bill shape look like a Glaucous-winged or G-w hybrid. The lighting is probably making the mantle look darker than it really is.

I’m not sure how far north Westerns and Olympics go, it could also be an Olympic, but I’d go with Cook Inlet (aka Glaucous-winged x Herring).

(A Slaty-backed Gull of this age would have a pale iris. You should only identify gulls as Slaty-backed Gulls if they are obviously and unambiguously Slaty-backed Gulls, it’s always possibly to find various confusing hybrids and sometimes some of their features may suggest Slaty-backed. This is definitely not a Slaty-backed and is probably a Cook Inlet hybrid)

• Like 5