Whatbird Community

White-feronted Parrots? - Oliviera Park, Brownsville, TX - 10/23/21

Just now, Seanbirds said:

Confirmed!! 
Got any good tips for finding/viewing/photographing parrots in the RGV? I haven’t had much luck so far.

This was the first time I've tried, so no expert advice here, but I highly recommend going to this specific park (I don't even think it matter what time of year, although I'm not certain on this) and get there for about 6-6:30pm (giving time for camera de-fogging).  Then just wait there and they will (or did) all fly into the the wires and the various trees of the postage stamp sized park right about dusk.  I mean, hundreds of parrots.  Talk about loud!  But yeah, you could do a lot better than shown here I imagine if you have the patience of using a tripod / a larger sensor / less feelings of awkwardness walking around a bunch of people with a big camera on. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I've been to this park a couple times in the last 7-8 years. Seems that the variety is increasing (first time it was mostly Red-crowned). They all seem to fly in just before dusk.

Red-crowned Parrot - Brownsville TX.JPG

Yellow-headed Parrot - Brownsville TX.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

This was the first time I've tried, so no expert advice here, but I highly recommend going to this specific park (I don't even think it matter what time of year, although I'm not certain on this) and get there for about 6-6:30pm (giving time for camera de-fogging).  Then just wait there and they will (or did) all fly into the the wires and the various trees of the postage stamp sized park right about dusk.  I mean, hundreds of parrots.  Talk about loud!  But yeah, you could do a lot better than shown here I imagine if you have the patience of using a tripod / a larger sensor / less feelings of awkwardness walking around a bunch of people with a big camera on. 🙂

4 hours ago, MWM said:

I've been to this park a couple times in the last 7-8 years. Seems that the variety is increasing (first time it was mostly Red-crowned). They all seem to fly in just before dusk.

Red-crowned Parrot - Brownsville TX.JPG

Yellow-headed Parrot - Brownsville TX.JPG

If I went before sunrise do you think I could catch them before they took off?

2 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

If I went before sunrise do you think I could catch them before they took off?

Allow me to defer to @MWM or others on this one, as I would be speaking on sheer postulation if I did respond, since I've never been there in the early AM (or any other time than dusk just this past Saturday).  Also, @MWM, nice job on finding the Yellow-headed out there!  I will definitely be going back to try and get the Yellow-headed and the Lilac-crowned, which apparently also show up there with some regularity (though I imagine in lower numbers than some of the other varieties there - that Yellow-headed seems like it would be pretty obvious!)

• Like 1