Whatbird Community

I'm stuck in St Louis without a field guide. ...

26 minutes ago, Trevor L. said:

Nice to see more birders in STL. I live about twenty miles east of STL proper. Best match for the area is probably a mockingbird. Out of curiosity, what did you notice that keeps it from being a Blue Jay?

Well for one definitely no crest and the Jays always seem to have more white highlights than this bird had. Besides I've seen plenty of Jays before 

I'm visiting relatives in High Ridge. 

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Mockingbird?

Looks like that's it to me! That's a lifer - and funny thing is I had to come all the way here to see one. According to range maps I should have them on every street corner back home.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm reminded of the classic Isaac Asimov sci-fi short, "I'm in Mars Port without Hilda"

1) What are you implying SirVive is doing there exactly?

2) Fascinating google search for the phrase including the quotes. No meaningful hits, but it still knows that Asimov is a related search.

459506378_Screenshot2021-10-26142522.png.755a53c6c5a68e368f95ac4e46351af4.png

32 minutes ago, PaulK said:

1) What are you implying SirVive is doing there exactly?

2) Fascinating google search for the phrase including the quotes. No meaningful hits, but it still knows that Asimov is a related search.

459506378_Screenshot2021-10-26142522.png.755a53c6c5a68e368f95ac4e46351af4.png

Obviously Hilda must have been indispensable - just like my binos :classic_smile:  thankfully I do have them. Otherwise Andalucia is a place in Spain and I'm guessing that the original film must have been in Spanish. I like that quote at the end of the excerpt - "Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?"

38 minutes ago, PaulK said:

2) Fascinating google search for the phrase including the quotes.

My apologies.  Try again with 'Marsport', not 'Mars Port'.  Just 'Asimov Marsport' yields relevant results.

51 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Swing and a miss - but you get one of those purple participation trophies anyway

Does Mom get a bumper sticker, 'My Birder is a Good Citizen at Whatbird Elementary!'

At least I gave you credit for knowing a mockingbird when you see one!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My apologies.  Try again with 'Marsport', not 'Mars Port'.  Just 'Asimov Marsport' yields relevant results.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I knew I'd read this 15-25 years ago but couldn't remember it other than the title, and was really amused by whatever happens in the back of the Google servers that would generate the right result but not display it. I need to dig it up again.