Whatbird Community

Hawk ID

Red-tailed Hawk - bulky bird with relatively long wings and short tail, (compared to say a Cooper’s Hawk), the streak of brown markings across the belly (“belly band”), mostly plain brown upperparts with a speckling white speckling in a patch on the scapulars - and since it’s an adult, a mostly unstreaked tail

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I'm pretty sure the eye is dark, which makes it an adult.

I'm not sure how light a juvenile's eye is vs an adult, but I found one of my other pictures had a little better view of the eye. 

DSCN1813.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gry said:

I'm not sure how light a juvenile's eye is vs an adult, but I found one of my other pictures had a little better view of the eye. 

DSCN1813.JPG

Hm, well...  Now that you mention it, here's one I saw yesterday.  It seems to be in adult plumage but has an eye between light and dark.  I believe I've read that birds like that  probably hatched last year.  Whether you want to call them adult or not is another question.

perchedredtail25crop.jpg

• Like 4

The eye color on a Red-tailed Hawk turns dark gradually as they reach adulthood. So a bird can be fully molted into adult plumage but still have light eyes. If a Red-tail has dark eyes then its an adult. If it has light eyes it could either be a juvenile or a young adult.

Edited by Greenesnake
  • Like 4