Whatbird Community

Waterfowl Help

02 Nov 2021  Baldwin co. AL; estuary/marsh; delta

1.  Bird to left looks like a grebe sp. & appears to have a red eye; bird to right, cormorant (bill looked good for that) vs. loon (appears to be a paleness to the throat) but not holding bill like our usual Common Loon.  

413538245_DSC05476-Copyed.thumb.jpg.99dbfa5368b797fff7bc0d60a22dd51e.jpg

2.  Blue-winged Teal vs. teal sp. vs. other;  I don't see any creamy line at the tails.

287369429_DSC05343-Copyed.thumb.jpg.4aa9bfd676616a888cc4736934bdef0c.jpg

Edited by floraphile

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

To me, the head is in profile.  If that's the case, the bill is too short for a corm.

I'm think the head is facing towards the side and back, so you're only seeing part of the bill. This bird's just far too large to be a grebe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I can't see this being anything but a grebe.  As to it being 'another cormorant', the other bird is definitely a loon.

image.png.9f3b25531346b4c2ed627fcfad237ccb.png

Oop, misread d’inscription. Honestly I didn’t really look at the other bird very closely, but it does look like a Loon to me (cormorant would sit lower in the water)  I don’t know for sure what the left bird is, I just can’t see it as a PBGR

I see the left bird the same way @Aidan Bdoes

Edited by Avery
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Pied-billed Grebe and loon for me based on first impression, I don't think apparent relative size can be relied on.

I typically find Pied-billed within a few hundred yards/metres of shore so if this is further out.......

Not far from a shore, just far from my shore at the time.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I like cormorant and loon for #1 as well.

If a loon, the angled-rather-than-straight bill position (which is also consistent with cormorant) would suggest Red-throated, n'est-ce pas?  I'm not going to count either of these birds on my list; the IDs are for my own edification.

I wouldn't try to identify a bird based on where in the lake it was. That may be a good clue, but not a strong identification point.

I have seen Pied-billed Grebes right next to the shore, and smack dab in the center of a lake. Same lake and same day too.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

I wasn't intending to be funny!  Just trying to be descriptive.

Haha - I thought you were saying you were a long way from home at the time.

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I have seen Pied-billed Grebes right next to the shore, and smack dab in the center of a lake. Same lake and same day to.

Agree with not using it as an ID feature, but maybe as an additional pointer. I honestly don't recall seeing a Pied-billed more than say 200yds offshore, other grebes for sure, but my experience is Great Lakes (ie. large water bodies) so other locations may vary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

Haha - I thought you were saying you were a long way from home at the time.

Agree with not using it as an ID feature, but maybe as an additional pointer. I honestly don't recall seeing a Pied-billed more than say 200yds offshore, other grebes for sure, but my experience is Great Lakes (ie. large water bodies) so other locations may vary.

That's not a lake, those are freshwater oceans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4