Whatbird Community

8 Nov 2021 Baldwin co. AL;  bayside public park; beach, pier, scattered trees, small duck ponds; elderly people doing tai chi...

1.  First Winter Ring-billed

897209898_DSC05942-Copy.thumb.jpg.20f0fade9e4e31e8ccfa02adbe237e2f.jpg

2.  Juvenile Herring Gull--huge gull, checkered back

1266667005_DSC05941-Copyed.thumb.jpg.a140c95bdcb873865632b7fd4c7c83ed.jpg

3.  Least Sandpiper--small; scalloped/edged feathers, yellow legs

1510545986_DSC05956-Copyed.thumb.jpg.5600d25bd95db2865457ccdd132a8395.jpg

4.  Red-shouldered Hawk vs. Broad-winged--Buteo with longish tail; never got a good frontal or undertail view

820842463_DSC05993-Copyed.thumb.jpg.342e2e18e9a835e42b106fd5380d3a21.jpg989490551_DSC05989-Copyed.thumb.jpg.63f5f9da4fe45191bf2e4b4cd91fbbcd.jpg

As always, if my IDs are wrong, please share how to arrive at the proper one(s).  🙂 

Edited by floraphile

42 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Buteo with longish tail

37 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I don't think I will take a guess on the Hawk

I'll go so far as to agree with buteo.  It's too chunky for an accipiter.  I don't like the spots on the underparts for Red-shouldered; they're too blotchy either immature or adult.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

The Ring-billed is correctly ID'd with the gray mantle, jet black primaries, and bill. Herring is probably a reasonable guess for the second, however I'd call it Larus sp if I saw it. That bird is certainly one of the large 4 year gulls though. 

As for the accipiter, I'd also say Cooper's for the same reason as given above. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

The Ring-billed is correctly ID'd with the gray mantle, jet black primaries, and bill. Herring is probably a reasonable guess for the second, however I'd call it Larus sp if I saw it. That bird is certainly one of the large 4 year gulls though. 

As for the accipiter, I'd also say Cooper's for the same reason as given above. 

Does the large, dark gull look more like a Lesser Black-Backed with that pale head?  That's a Ring-billed to the left.

Edited by floraphile

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I don't even know what it is.

From the 'net: 

tai chi/ˌtī ˈCHē/  noun

1.  a Chinese martial art and system of calisthenics, consisting of sequences of very slow controlled movements.

2.   (in Chinese philosophy) the ultimate source and limit of reality, from which spring yin and yang and all of creation.

I do live in a "retirement community".  Lots of active seniors.  I will soon be one of them.  

Edited by floraphile

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You can get it with chicken or pork; shrimp is extra.  It usually includes fried rice, and either an egg roll or soup.

I won't be needing the shrimp, I don't like them, and do you suppose I could get a substitute for the rice? 

• Haha 1