Whatbird Community

WhatBird? WhatStuffing? WhatPie? WhatCranberrySauce?

aveschapinas

35 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

We don't have a TV, but I've seen some episodes of Chopped online. Pretty interesting. Also, I recently heard somebody recommend another cooking show. I think it was called Nailed It. 

33 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Now I remember....I liked "chopped". We only really use our tv for dvds, but we watched "chopped" when we were in Puerto Rico.

I never really took to 'Chopped'.  I do still loves me some 'Iron Chef America' reruns.  I'm a bit disappointed they never did episodes with the secret ingredient 'Unflavored Gelatin!', 'Sucralose!', or 'Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil!'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I never really took to 'Chopped'.  I do still loves me some 'Iron Chef America' reruns.  I'm a bit disappointed they never did episodes with the secret ingredient 'Unflavored Gelatin!', 'Sucralose!', or 'Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil!'.

I don't think I've seen "Chopped" but there are several cooking contest shows on the Discovery Home and Health channel here. Some are fun, some not so much. There's one called "Cooks vs Cons" that's fun, but another similar but way too silly one "Cut Throat Kitchen".  We also get MasterChef in many varieties (USA, USA in Spanish, Mexico, Colombia, junior versions with children as contestants, etc.) 

But by far my very favorite cooking contest show is the Great British Bake-Off. They show seasons occasionally and I love them!

I have fond memories of watching Julia Child on PBS!  Lately I've really enjoyed watching Jacques Pepin's cooking videos on Facebook. I made his sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

But by far my very favorite cooking contest show is the Great British Bake-Off. They show seasons occasionally and I love them!

I have fond memories of watching Julia Child on PBS!  Lately I've really enjoyed watching Jacques Pepin's cooking videos on Facebook. I made his sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving ?

Given that you just named a bunch of my favourites, you might enjoy Kenji's Cooking Show on YouTube. He's a professional chef who puts on a camera and records himself making interesting food for his family in his home kitchen, talking about what he's doing and the technique but also cooking in general. A lot of fun and very educational! 

https://youtube.com/c/JKenjiLopezAlt

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Given that you just named a bunch of my favourites, you might enjoy Kenji's Cooking Show on YouTube. He's a professional chef who puts on a camera and records himself making interesting food for his family in his home kitchen, talking about what he's doing and the technique but also cooking in general. A lot of fun and very educational! 

https://youtube.com/c/JKenjiLopezAlt

And for all you young bucks on here still at home, you could do a lot worse than trying out some of the stuff on his channel. Some good quick techniques that will serve you well. For instance this one:

https://youtu.be/X2zLpB8Cfi0

• Like 1

If you're able to use the Internet or a DSLR camera, there's no excuse for not learning how to make spaghetti with a basic red sauce with chunky veggies (and meat if you lean that way).  Chili, too, and tacos, without a packaged mix.  Don't be that guy we heard at the 7-Eleven several years ago, asking if they'd be open on Thanksgiving so he'd have some place to have 'dinner'.

• Like 3

Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

If you're able to use the Internet or a DSLR camera, there's no excuse for not learning how to make spaghetti with a basic red sauce with chunky veggies (and meat if you lean that way).  Chili, too, and tacos, without a packaged mix.  Don't be that guy we heard at the 7-Eleven several years ago, asking if they'd be open on Thanksgiving so he'd have some place to have 'dinner'.

Off-topic, but the 7-elevens in Asia are much better. They have these really tasty rice packets...especially the ones in Taiwan and Japan.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What's a rice packet?

If I'm ever in Taiwan or Japan, please, PLEASE don't let me be reduced to eating at 7-Eleven.

They are these triangular sections of rice with savory filling like fish inside. I'm telling you, asian 7-elevens are better...also the employees are more friendly. I wouldn't write them off so soon! I traveled a lot one or two years ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What's a rice packet?

If I'm ever in Taiwan or Japan, please, PLEASE don't let me be reduced to eating at 7-Eleven.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

No kidding! I don't even eat at them here.

No, 7-Eleven is a different thing entirely in Asia. They are actually well known to be good places to get food there. Seriously.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

I once got a slurpee from 711 in the states and it was the weirdest thing ever. I don’t know what you guys are doing down there but those are NOT slurpees. 
Weird foamy texture….

I don’t eat at the 711s here either.. except for muffins I guess.

Fast food and gas stations don't count as eating real food! 

12 hours ago, Chris Clem said:

I went against the grain on Thanksgiving.......Had Ham-hock & Beans with Corn Bread.

I make, if I do say so myself, a wonderful Navy Bean Soup with a ham bone and serve it with homemade Corn Bread. Never had it for Thanksgiving though. Usually a must after Christmas Ham.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, Seanbirds said:

Short answer is, I was born in a hospital, and I’ve never been back. Don’t plan to be.

I was also born in a hospital. I gave birth in a hospital. And after more than 6 decades on the planet I have never been in the hospital otherwise. I also have not been sick with a cold or the flu but once in over 20 years. I am not a vegetarian but I do eat and love vegetables. I try to eat a balanced diet that it includes a variety of foods. That said I think genetics plays a larger part in overall health than diet. I highly advise though that if genetics are not on your side that you adjust your diet according to your own genetics or family health history. 

• Like 2