Whatbird Community

Flocking Birds, ATL, GA

These birds have been flocking for the past week or so (today Sat Nov/27/2021, Atlanta, GA) - but I have not been able to get a good shot, also there were so many of them I'm not even sure if it's a single species....

birdsFlock_P1150594_211127.thumb.JPG.190e2475d91872bf6d50c447cf39229e.JPG

birdsFlock_P1150600_211127.thumb.JPG.33a4029290ecaecf7abe8c08684508da.JPG

birdsFlockC2_P1150600_211127.thumb.JPG.73406a14eebffd0d93835a93145ec7cd.JPG

birdFlock_P1150597_211127.thumb.JPG.3201ec6212c29fb4560039a135998846.JPG

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Edited by UnknownVT
typos

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@UnknownVT, you don't mention them making any sounds but a flock of grackles is usually VERY noisy, making clacks and whirrs.  I found them one of the easiest birds to learn by ear, esp. when they're in a large group.

Yes, yes indeed, thank you, very remiss of me @Charlie Spencer

It was the multiple chirping that first got my attention, before I even saw anything.  Took a while to actually even see them as they were toward the top of tall trees - then I saw them flock to another.  Difficult to photograph them - because they were so high up, and seem to all be moving - because they were black from a distance - they looked like silhouettes.

The scene reminded my of the starling flocks in the UK and I was going guess that, but thought better of it, and decided to ask here.

Thank you

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Nice to see you back, @UnknownVT!! These are indeed Common Grackles. After all, I would know them because they are me!

Thank you for the warm welcome @Quiscalus quiscula - I am truly touched.... and certified ... and all those other technical terms they use at the institution.

If those were you... why didn't just say so, when I was trying so hard to photography you guys?  I guess the precarious perching on top of those tall trees requires vise-like grip?

One would have thought my visits are less frequent because I've become self-sufficient.

Truth be told it's because I can't afford all the Doritos and ORIOLE cookies.

Edited by UnknownVT
tag
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

Thank you for the warm welcome @Quiscalus quiscula - I am truly touched.... and certified ... and all those other technical terms they use at the institution.

If those were you... why didn't just say so, when I was trying so hard to photography you guys?  I guess the precarious perching on top of those tall trees requires vise-like grip?

One would have thought my visits are less frequent because I've become self-sufficient.

Truth be told it's because I can't afford all the Doritos and ORIOLE cookies.

I did try to tell you- that's why I was so noisy!

It's pretty fun swinging up there in the branches. It's actually pretty easy to balance up in those trees- unlike humans, we have an extra balance sensor in the pelvis. 

Oh, and some more oriole cookies would be delicious, thanks! :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I did try to tell you- that's why I was so noisy!

It's pretty fun swinging up there in the branches. It's actually pretty easy to balance up in those trees- unlike humans, we have an extra balance sensor in the pelvis. 

Oh, and some more oriole cookies would be delicious, thanks! :classic_tongue:

@Quiscalus quiscula but they were all shouting "me, me, me..." but none would keep still enough for a picture...

sensory BUTT - boggles the mind...

how do you sit?

@Quiscalus quiscula "smelling my worms" is a misspelling of "spelling my words" - used a lot at my institution where their diet is Doritos and Oriole cookies

Edited by UnknownVT
added confusion comment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

@Quiscalus quiscula but they were all shouting "me, me, me..." but none would keep still enough for a picture...

sensory BUTT - boggles the mind...

how do you sit?

Yeah, it is cool. If you're interested...

https://svpow.com/2019/01/23/birds-have-balance-organs-in-their-butts-why-is-no-one-talking-about-this/

https://academic.oup.com/iob/article/2/1/obaa024/5891662

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33791565/

I don't think birds can really sit...

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

@Quiscalus quiscula  ahhh... there's where "not as smart as your butt" comes from.

Glad you have a well BALANCED personality

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Johnd said:

did you get to see them do the formation flying? where they all seem to fly about in a big group making patterns in the air?

Not really, they did fly in the same direction toward another tree, but not in any formation nor did they swirl.

Although there were quite a few for a neighborhood - it wasn't really a large flock.

Here's an ad-hoc video -

• Like 1