Whatbird Community

Shorebird confirmation, please.

Southport, Brunswick County, SE NC.  26 Nov 21.

Southport fronts on the Cape Fear River where it meets the Atlantic.  The waterfront is a mix of restaurants, boardwalks, green spaces, and piers.  There were about 40 of these, along with several dozen each of Laughing Gulls and Boat-tailed Grackles, and a scant handful of other species.  These were actively probing a grassy public area and scavenging around outdoor dining areas.  They walked and flew as a flock, rarely individually.  They seemed adjusted to the public setting and weren't disturbed by presence of people.

I see bright orange legs; black eye; a black bill almost like a grackle's; dark chest markings; pure white underparts; mottled gray head, neck, back, and relatively short tail.  The photos don't show it well but the ... tertials? had broad brown borders.  Within the flock, there was a range of color distribution and intensity, especially of the chest markings.

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what these are, but there's a lifer on the line and I don't want to influence anyone.   Thanks.

image.thumb.png.ad7e5a46de11aae6b0caa831669a0a50.png

image.thumb.png.0380612cf454e52837f6d70828e1ad7d.png

Hi again.  Would a few of you go to this checklist?  I attached five photos of the turnstone but they don't show up in a Macaulay search.  For that matter, do the turnstones show on the checklist at all?  The entry was flagged for count, and that may what's going on. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98097926

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Hi again.  Would a few of you go to this checklist?  I attached five photos of the turnstone but they don't show up in a Macaulay search.  For that matter, do the turnstones show on the checklist at all?  The entry was flagged for count, and that may what's going on. 

I see photos of five Ruddy Turnstones and one House Sparrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

They’re on the list, but are unconfirmed. To view them in maculary, hit more filters, then hit show unconfirmed. They will show up then. 

7D05D252-7B0E-445D-A67C-0D5FEF0115EC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kerri said:

I see the same as lonestranger. Do you have photo of a flock of them you could add? That may convince them your count was correct 🙂

I was interested in getting photos of the details, not the flock size.  In the field I entered them as Sandpipers, knowing that was wrong but wanted a placeholder so I wouldn't forget the count.  With SANDs, the count wasn't significant.  It was two days later when I corrected SAND to RUTU that the count was flagged.

I'm not particularly concerned, just kinda half-wondering between the day's work (mostly) emergencies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks!  I never noticed that filter.  Do you know a way to tell if a list entry is unconfirmed if it doesn't have photos to flag in Mac?

If it was a rare bird, you can go to your county’s alerts through explore on ebird, and find your report, and it’ll say unconfirmed or confirmed. If a list is unconfirmed or flagged, on the list at the top( below the mileage and time), it’ll have a box saying “ this checklist of flagged to due long distance or time”, or something like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Do you know a way to tell if a list entry is unconfirmed if it doesn't have photos to flag in Mac?

If it was flagged because of a high count and there are no photos, I believe the only way to check if it was confirmed is to search for the species in the eBird species map.  If your observation doesn't show up, then it's unconfirmed.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

the only way to check if it was confirmed is to search for the species in the eBird species map.

I know that trick, I was wondering if there was something on the checklist itself.  I'm confident it will be accepted eventually; there are six accepted counts of 40 or greater in the last six weeks at the same small hotspot.

37 minutes ago, IKLland said:

If it was a rare bird,

One forum I go to has an emoji that's a laughing face rolling back and forth for several dozen pixels.  Since this site doesn't have that option,

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 4:27 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

I know that trick, I was wondering if there was something on the checklist itself.  I'm confident it will be accepted eventually; there are six accepted counts of 40 or greater in the last six weeks at the same small hotspot.

One forum I go to has an emoji that's a laughing face rolling back and forth for several dozen pixels.  Since this site doesn't have that option,

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

Like this? lau.gif

• Like 1