Whatbird Community

Duck ID Please

Agree with Scaup, probably a Lesser as I believe adult females often have a darker eye than the Greater, but not reliable as the only marker. The head shape looks rounded but slightly better for Greater to me (sloping gradually backwards from a high point at the forehead but tough to call from the angle) and the bill looks intermediate but probably more Lesser sized, so I'm not sure.

I would personally go with Greater/Lesser for this one. Some expert opinions required.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RobinHood said:

the bill looks intermediate but probably more Lesser sized, so I'm not sure.

I was going to say the bill looks relatively large, given that some of it is hidden in the water, but I'm definitely no expert and would leave it as a slash.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

A raised area on the tip of the bill.  Greaters and Lessers have different shaped nails.

I was having trouble figuring out where this important bump was located.  I finally found this:

https://www.birdzilla.com/bird-identification/id-skill-development/bird-families/waterfowl-identification/duck-identification/identification-of-diving-ducks/comparison-of-greater-and-lesser-scaup.html

• Like 2