Whatbird Community

Hawk #2, ATL, GA

21 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Red-shouldered, with rows of pale icicles on the wings.  It's an adult because of the black-and-white contrast and the rufous-barred breast.

8 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Jerry, is sub-adult a possibility with those last vestiges of black vertical streaks on the throat, just wondering?

Thank you both so much.

... so is it prone to juvenile behavior: like stealing Doritos, and eating copious quantities of Oriole Cookies? 😜

I stand in admiration - even with a photo I know I couldn't pick out those distinctions.

So what are the most telling differences between red-shouldered, Cooper's and sharp shinned, please?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

So what are the most telling differences between red-shouldered, Cooper's and sharp shinned, please?

Cooper's and Sharp-shinned are not as bulky as Red-shouldereds and they have pale eyes (from yellow to red) and lack the black and white checkered pattern on the wings.  Red-shouldereds also have shorter tails and different tail patterns/colors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Cooper's and Sharp-shinned are not as bulky as Red-shouldereds and they have pale eyes (from yellow to red) and lack the black and white checkered pattern on the wings.  Red-shouldereds also have shorter tails and different tail patterns/colors.

+ Coop's and Sharpies have a black cap. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-shouldered_Hawk/species-compare/60324921

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, as adults.

Thanks both for the replies.  You have to forgive as I am not a birder - only a mere person who takes photos - an opportunist, especially when it come to birds.

So I do stand in admiration in the ability to look at the details whereas even with a photo I could not.

However I still have difficulties - as the birds do not stay still - when I try to weigh, or measure them, and they really just fly off in a huff when I try to check their ID to see if they are adults 🤪

• Haha 3